using Gmail for admin notifications / Google API

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
southpaw3229
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

using Gmail for admin notifications / Google API

Post by southpaw3229 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Google will be eliminating less secure apps soon for joomla and all other 3rd party applications.

Google said my Joomla accounts need to use google's api to make gmail.com and all google workplace email accounts able to work with Joomla when sending admin notifications.

Any idea how to do this? Any plugins like what wordpress has that handles this future issue?

Thanks

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: using Gmail for admin notifications / Google API

Post by toivo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Does that mean that in the future it will not be possible to use Gmail as SMTP server in Joomla?

What exactly is Google saying and where?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

southpaw3229
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by southpaw3229 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 pm

Google Workplace Support told me that they are ending ALLOW LESS SECURE APPS in the near future. They said using SMTP with Joomla will end soon, and I need to use google api to be able to use a gmail.com or google hosted business account with my joomla sites. I've actually heard this a while back and surprised there is not a lot of chatter about this.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 pm

I had a quick look at where this information about Google and less secure apps is coming from. This has been around for nearly two years.

The information I have read has nothing to do with configuring SMTP to use GMail accounts with SMTP with J!; it has nothing to do with Joomla sending notifications via GMail accounts.

There are certainly issues that people have to wrestle with when they build a J! website with administrator accounts that use GMail email addresses. Yes, we've read about those problems but the question asked by the OP has nothing to do with that.

I have not read anywhere that "Google says" anything specifically about using "Google's API to make gmail.com and all google workplace email accounts able to work with Joomla when sending admin notifications." So, yes, I would also like to know where "Google says" this.

southpaw3229 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 pm
Google Workplace Support told me that they are ending ALLOW LESS SECURE APPS in the near future. They said using SMTP with Joomla will end soon ...
Show us the URL where "GWS says" that SMTP with Joomla will end.

The only other item of [passing] interest concerns the CMS developers' plan to remove the Google authentication plugin from J! 4; that, again, has nothing to do with the discussion. [ redacted ]
Last edited by toivo on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: link removed - self promotion is against the forum rules, available from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

southpaw3229
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by southpaw3229 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:13 pm

I will talk to google workplace support next week to see if they can send me an email with exactly what they said. I do know from experience over the past year or so, google has been turning off my Less Secure Apps setting on many of my gmail accounts that I use for a bunch of websites. I always have to turn it back on. When i was on the phone with google support the other day, I mentioned that to them and the person did admit, google is try to do away with allow less secure apps which is required for joomla to use SMPT. She said they want everyone to go to developers.google.com to create the API for gmail and enter that somewhere in the joomla CMS. she's not a joomla expert but was just saying in general Google will be forcing people to use the API for all 3rd party sites eventually.

southpaw3229
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by southpaw3229 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:21 pm

All, Here is the notice from google. I am using google workplace email and pay $6 a month, but all free google email accounts will not be allowed to send from Joomla starting May 22, 2022.
----------

Less secure apps & your Google Account
To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

For more information, please continue reading.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

---------------

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... ur-account

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:30 am

southpaw3229 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:13 pm
google has been turning off my Less Secure Apps setting on many of my gmail accounts that I use for a bunch of websites.
Use an App Password, as described in the tutorial How do I use Gmail as my mail server?

southpaw3229 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:13 pm
... less secure apps which is required for joomla to use SMPT.
This is not the case. Joomla can use Gmail SMTP with App Password. This is all explained in the tutorial How do I use Gmail as my mail server?

Google wrote:starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
As highlighted, the key word is only. Use an App Password, which is possible if the Gmail account uses 2-step verification.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”