Content Encoding Error when viewing an unpublished article Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sozzled
I've been banned!

Content Encoding Error when viewing an unpublished article

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm

I'm mentioning this in passing because I found the cause of the problem.

I have been working on an article for a website; slow going, it's taken me three weeks and I'm nearly finished. The article is still unpublished. I thought I'd have a quick look at the work-in-progress on the frontend of the website, so I logged in and saw the article in the category blog. When I then clicked the [linked] title, I received browser page with the message "Content Encoding Error". Hmm ... this was odd.

Anyway, I dug around a bit and found this helpful item written 7½ years ago: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/231 ... -on-joomla

I remembered that I have nearly always adopted the approach to enable GZip compression in the site settings. I don't know why I have always done that (maybe because I thought it might "speed things up" a bit ???) but that's how I've always done things. So I turned off GZip compression in the Global Configuration and, hey presto, I could view the unpublished article on the frontend. Lovely!

I just thought I'd pass this tip on to other people. Cheers. :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”