HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when switching to PHP 7.4 Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
scubabatdan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when switching to PHP 7.4

Post by scubabatdan » Mon May 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Hope this helps someone.
After updating to Joomla 3.10 I have been trying to update from PHP 5.3 to PHP 7.4 because of Cpanel errors. Every time I enable php 7.4, I would get a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.

After researching this I found and article on testing PHP, you basically open command prompt as an administrator, cd to the root directory of php 7.4 where php.exe resides, run the command php.exe -m, if there is an environment error it will display the cause. In my case it was vcruntime140.dll’ 14.0 is not compatible with this PHP build linked with 14.16 in Unknown on line 0. Basically, my Visual C++ runtime was out of date.

Once I download the 2015-2022 Visual C++ runtime and installed it and re-ran php.exe-m there was no more error. Now when I attempted to open my website everything works as advertised. After logging into the backend I now have my Cpanel back! woot!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when switching to PHP 7.4

Post by AMurray » Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm

Just my two cents:

This would probably help people running on Windows Servers but I don't see their significance on running a live website on Linux. Visual C++ Runtime files are a "Windows thing" I thought. I don't know how much control normal users would have over a Windows server, normally it would be something managed by the. hosting company.

I suppose many users run websites on Linux (as that is usually the cheaper hosting option), but there are instances where users would set up a local server on their PC with WAMPServer (or similar), which uses the Visual C++ runtime files.

Also I was confused at your reference "your CPanel" (eventually realised you meant the Joomla Administrator, not the hosting administration utility cPanel.)
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

scubabatdan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when switching to PHP 7.4

Post by scubabatdan » Tue May 17, 2022 3:09 am

Yes, my company runs a Windows web server, so absolutely correct windows-based focus here. Just something for the users to ask the hosting company if on a windows-based server and receiving a 500 error. And yes, I meant the Joomla Control panel when the back end first opens. Was receiving a 0 Null error there. Everything else would work except the control panel.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”