iPage, Hostgator, Justhost or Bluehost best for Joomla site?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
MHasan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

iPage, Hostgator, Justhost or Bluehost best for Joomla site?

Post by MHasan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm really getting confused which hosting site to use for my site. I made my site using xampp and now ready to put it up online and I'm not really sure which site to use. By doing some research and looking at the reviews of customers I've come crossed these hosting site. All of them have positive and negative reviews.

So my question is, Is there anyone here use any of these hosting site and if so which one would you recommend to use? Thanks

ionut
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: iPage, Hostgator, Justhost or Bluehost best for Joomla s

Post by ionut » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:07 am

I've used Hostgator in the past for hosting a Joomla website and I was satisfied. I can't say nothing about the others since I've not used their services.

MHasan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MHasan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi There, Thanks for ur responds. Just a question relating to this. Did you upload your Joomla built site to Hostgator or Did you install the Joomla first in hostgator then built your site? (If it make sense)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Check the resource directory out: http://resources.joomla.org/directory/s ... sting.html and Google/Bing for 'Joomla specialized hosting'

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

ionut
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ionut » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:38 am

MHasan wrote:Hi There, Thanks for ur responds. Just a question relating to this. Did you upload your Joomla built site to Hostgator or Did you install the Joomla first in hostgator then built your site? (If it make sense)
I have created it locally and after I have upload it to hostgator. But you can do it either way, I don't think it will be any problem.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:49 pm

In such a setup you might not have challenged the requirement of joomla for the webserver to have write access to the webspace. This normally shows as not being able to:
- save the global configuration,
- installing extentions
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm

sovainfo wrote:In such a setup
Is this the wrong thread you posted to Sovainfo?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

CampaignPromo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CampaignPromo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:44 pm

I have used, and still use, Hostgator (since 2008) for all of my Joomla sites, large and small. I also suggest it to my clients as I have never had an issue with them. I find support to be fantastic, I've never had down time, PHP upgrades are not a problem, phpmemory limits were never an issue, and the price is right. I've not used the others, but HostGator has always met and exceeded my requirements.

I upload the newest downloaded package from Joomla, unzip it, and then go from there. I have never use pre-installed packages. :)
Cassandra Patton
Campaign Promotions
Certified Internet Marketer
Web Developer & Joomla Professional since 2005

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

@leolam
No, I was referring to development on local and going live with provider once finished. At the start they don't notice their webserver might not have write access. Only upon configuration changes or adding extensions they run into problems. When building site at provider you run into these things straight away.

That is what most posts about permissions are about. Not configured to run as fcgi and different owner of webserver from webspace. Most of the time we have to tell them to reset to 755 and 644 and check ownership.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

MHasan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MHasan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks everyone! Its sounds like hostgator is good enough for me. I might go for it. Thanks again :)

BooknookBiz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BooknookBiz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi:

I know that everyone says, "go to the resources directory," etc., but my entire business exists on the web. I need serious uptime, and migration has to be as seamless as humanly possible. I'm currently on EngineHosting (because I have had Expression Engine as my CMS, which just doesn't work at a lot of hosts due to PHP issues, for whatever reason), and I'll be migrating to a) a new Joomla system, and b) all my webmail, which not only has to come in seamlessly but also then has to feed to Desk.

Does everyone still think that Hostgator is a good option? Their prices certainly seem reasonable. I'm not thrilled with my load times at EH; I'm a pretty firm believer in the half-second rule, and my pages take FOREVER to load, even those that are pretty simple. I have a "need for speed," as it were.

Thanks in advance.

*EDITED TO ADD: I've heard a lot of extremely discouraging input from others about Hostgator, so I'm looking now at servers that are more usually oriented to development platforms, as they tend to be very speedy, albeit not uber-customer-service oriented. We'll see how that goes. Still open to thoughts.

P.S.: I find the Joomla resources pages nearly impossible to use. Horrible load times, jumbled messes, half the times the links to demo pages are broken, etc. The "reviews" don't seem very helpful, either. FWIW.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”