Article links are not working

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Article links are not working

Post by edwinokugbo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Hello all,

I just moved my site to another server and now all my article links are not working. I have tried to disable and reenabled SEF but it is still not working. I have also cleared the cache and it is still not working

I cant figure out what is wrong. I saw a comment somewhere about emptying the table where the SEF links are stored but it seems that is for older versions of Joomla

Please I need help on this

Cheers

Edwin

Zemplate
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Article links are not working

Post by Zemplate » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:36 pm

This happens frequently when people move their site from one location to another. This is often because of the settings in your configuration.php file and or your .htaccess file. It can also be due to file permissions for your tmp or log folders.

If you can get into your backend, access the info for the configuration.php file through the Global Configuration settings. If you can't then make a backup of the configuration.php file and edit the original.

The common issues with the configuration.php file are:
public $host = ' '; This is usually "localhost" but some hosting companies have specific names for this. Check with your hosting company before making a change.

public $user = ' '; This is the name for the database user, not the Joomla login username. They should be different. You need to set up a database before you install Joomla and make note of the database name, database username and database password.

public $password = ' '; This is the password for the database, not the password for getting into Joomla

public $db = ' '; This is the name of the database. If you have moved your site to a different hosting company or from a local installation to a hosting server, this may need to change.

public $dbprefix = ' '; This is the prefix for the tables in the database. If you have moved the site and database, be sure this prefix is still correct

public $live_site = 'http://... '; This is the path to the live site, the address that you would type into a web browser. If you have moved the site from a local computer or a subfolder, this can be a problem. Also check this if you have a site with https://

public $log_path = ' '; This is the path to the log folder. This must be a viable path as Joomla requires this to work properly. The log folder must also have the correct file permissions.

public $tmp_path = ' '; This is the path to the tmp folder. This must be a viable path as Joomla requires this to work properly. The tmp folder must also have the correct file permissions.

edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edwinokugbo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks for the response.

All the parameters in the configuration.php are fine. The problem is that I can only open the front page. But when I click on any article links, it gives me a 404. When I disable SEF, it doesnt give a 404 but the article doesnt appear. Its just blank

Edwin

Zemplate
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Zemplate » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:54 am

Did you verify the .htaccess is there?

edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edwinokugbo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:21 am

htaccess is there.

I have even renamed the old one and created a blank new .htaccess file but no luck

The last thing I just did was to disable SEF again, both the plugin and the settings in the Joomla config page but the articles are still blank

Edwin

edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edwinokugbo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:16 am

Ok, It is working now with SEF turned off. But this will not be good for search engines.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Zemplate
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Zemplate » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:44 pm

A few other suggestions:

Check the database - Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Database (from the column). Be sure your Database structure is correct.

Check that your new server meets the minimum requirements for your version of Joomla.

http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

Check that your tmp and log folders are writable

Go to system -> System Information -> Directory Permissions

Make sure everything shows a green "Writable" button

Let's see if any other forum member has a direction to take.

edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edwinokugbo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:47 pm

I have checked all your siggestions. They are all ok but the articles still dont work with SEF turned on

Regards
Zemplate wrote:A few other suggestions:

Check the database - Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Database (from the column). Be sure your Database structure is correct.

Check that your new server meets the minimum requirements for your version of Joomla.

http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

Check that your tmp and log folders are writable

Go to system -> System Information -> Directory Permissions

Make sure everything shows a green "Writable" button

Let's see if any other forum member has a direction to take.

Zemplate
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Zemplate » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:41 am

edwinokugbo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edwinokugbo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks for the lead

I added this to the http.conf file and its working now