Since 3.7.5, Can't Edit From Front End

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Since 3.7.5, Can't Edit From Front End

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Since updating to 3.7.5 last week, I've discovered that registered users with edit privileges (including myself, an admin) cannot edit from the Front End. Back End works fine.

User logs in (via JFB Connect) and clicks the edit icon. The screen "loops" around to the same page as if they had never clicked on the icon. (In the Back End, the document has been "checked out".)

I also use Easy Blog and Joomla Events Manager. The ability to edit these from the Front End is also impaired.

Have a huge event coming up that is dependent upon Front End event entry, starting September 1. Starting to panic!

Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts? :eek:

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Since 3.7.5, Can't Edit From Front End

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I'll add that I have cleared the cache. I also changed the default editor to TinyMCE, in case it was an editor issue. Nope. Changed back to the JCE editor.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Please try with protostar template
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby JAVesey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 am

jbritton wrote:User logs in (via JFB Connect) and clicks the edit icon. The screen "loops" around to the same page as if they had never clicked on the icon. (In the Back End, the document has been "checked out".)
I've seen this a few times on my own site and believe that you have a "sticky" site/session cookie (or other session issue).

1. Make sure that you properly and completely clear your browser cache. Google search for how to do this for your browser and make sure that this includes the clearance of cookies.
2. Clear your site cache.
3. Check and clear the session table in your database.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

tpaljr63
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby tpaljr63 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Same issue with 3.7.5
Cache Clear Browsers and Sites Cache
Latest JCE Editor 2.6.19
Latest yootheme template update (everest) ** It does say need to update Warp Framework..will be doing that later.
Haven't tried another template as of yet.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 pm

tpaljr63 wrote:Haven't tried another template as of yet.

Please tell us if you can edit with protostar template. As i saw in a joomla site updated to 3.7.5 that i can edit articles, modules from front end with protostar template.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Glad (sorry!) to see that I am not alone.

I am using the JoomSpirit99 template. Have been for years. I don't have the Protostar template. I see it is supposed to be part of J3, but I don't have it and typically do not remove "core" items even if I do not use them. Is there a place I can download this template standalone?

I had already tried seemingly every way to clear cache on the back end. Also did all the maintenance tasks offered by Akeeba AdminTools.

Browser cache not an issue either, although I did flush. Can repeat from multiple workstations, multiple browsers, and other authorized users having same issues. Fails in Safari/Mac, Explorer/Windows, Edge/Windows, and Chrome/Windows.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:34 pm

By Googling, I've discovered that others have reported that the Protostar template "disappeared" from their installation. I am in the process of trying to find it for download and testing.

Two questions:

1) Is Protostar a Joomla project default/supported template?

2) I found one reference that indicated Protostar uses a "Twitter bootstrap". I am not a programmer. I am aware of bootstrap but not what it does or the implications of conflict. Could this be the issue?

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:51 pm

The plot thickens... downloaded the full installer, found the Protostar template, and zip'd it in anticipation of uploading to my site.

When I went into my site's file structure, I discovered that Protostar and several other templates were there, but they were not showing in the Back End for selection.

I did a Discover in the Back End, and they still don't show up. Thoughts?

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Back up before. Then download joomla 3.7.5 full package to your pc and install it from update component.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:47 pm

ribo wrote:Back up before. Then download joomla 3.7.5 full package to your pc and install it from update component.

Since I have pretty much exhausted testing of disabling various extensions, I may have to go to this extreme step. I need to understand it better as the risk (to me) is very high. This literally is my busiest time of year.

You want me to download the 3.7.5 full package. Presume to have it on my local PC as a .ZIP file.

As my site is hosted (SiteGround), you are saying to go to the Joomla! Update component (after backup), go to the Upload & Update tab, select the file, and click on Upload & Install. Do I leave the drop-down to "Write Files Directly"?

Presumption is that this will overwrite all Joomla files and leave all other existing files and folders in place?

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 pm

...and this won't touch my database?

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 pm

jbritton wrote:
ribo wrote:Back up before. Then download joomla 3.7.5 full package to your pc and install it from update component.

Since I have pretty much exhausted testing of disabling various extensions, I may have to go to this extreme step. I need to understand it better as the risk (to me) is very high. This literally is my busiest time of year.

You want me to download the 3.7.5 full package. Presume to have it on my local PC as a .ZIP file.

As my site is hosted (SiteGround), you are saying to go to the Joomla! Update component (after backup), go to the Upload & Update tab, select the file, and click on Upload & Install. Do I leave the drop-down to "Write Files Directly"?

Presumption is that this will overwrite all Joomla files and leave all other existing files and folders in place?

Just have a back up for any chance if this will fail(i made this many times with success). No need to disable any extension.
As my site is hosted (SiteGround), you are saying to go to the Joomla! Update component (after backup), go to the Upload & Update tab, select the file, and click on Upload & Install.
Yes
Do I leave the drop-down to "Write Files Directly"?
Yes
...and this won't touch my database?
If something will change in your joomla site, also the database will change.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Not good news...

I installed full version of 3.7.5 onto my site using Joomla! Update. It installed with success. No impact on public usability of site. (Thanks!)

However, it had ZERO effect on the issue. The Protostar template is still not available and it is impossible to edit from the front end.

Something in the 3.7.5 update caused this, or an incompatability with one of my extensions or the JoomSpirit99 template.

Who all else is having similar issues, other than myself and tpaljr63 ?

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:34 pm

After the install of full package can you try now with discover tool of joomla?

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 pm

ribo wrote:After the install of full package can you try now with discover tool of joomla?

No difference.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Quite honestly, it "acts" like a privileges problem, but every window I've looked at, privs seem fine. I am a Super User and cannot do it.

I am shown as logged in, and documents get checked out, but cannot edit. Here is the behavior:

Articles -- Click on the edit icon. Article gets checked out. Page refreshes to show all articles in the category, rather than the edit window for the desired article. Clicking on the Edit link next to an article in the category list just loops back to itself.

EasyBlog posts -- Opens for editing, allows edits, but does not save.

Joomla Event Manager (JEM) -- Opens for editing/adding Venues or Events, but upon save, work is not saved.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Guess what? I found Protostar and a bunch of other Joomla extensions disabled. Under Extensions/Manage/Manage, I enabled all Joomla Project extensions. I had noticed some things disappeared after the 3.7.5 update, like Banners and Contacts, but since I didn't use them, I didn't give it a second thought.

I then set the default template to ProtoStar and tested. Unfortunately, exactly the same result. Cannot edit from the front end.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Is there a programmatic "flag" anywhere in Joomla that locks out changes from the front end?

If so, I am wondering if Akeeba Backup uses this flag during backups. I have Akeeba set to auto-run when I apply Joomla updates. My problem began when I installed 3.7.5. If there is a flag, wondering if it was set and not removed.

Not a deep level programmer. Just trying to think outside the box. Permissions all look correct, but it seems like write access is totally blocked from the front end.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Found something!!!

In the PHP error file, each time a front end edit is tried, the following log is written:

#Fields: date time priority clientip category message
2012-09-17 13:24:11 INFO x.x.x.x Joomla FAILURE: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.

I utilize exclusively JFBConnect to login via social media. I am logging in successfully with FaceBook and it shows me as logged in. Joomla control panel shows me as logged in. But try to edit something and get the above!!!

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 pm

I had the default Joomla login module disabled since I was using exclusively JFBConnect and social media.

I just re-enabled the default Joomla login module. It won't let me log into the front end using the exact same user name and password I use as admin on the back end -- which works fine.

Frustrated as hell!

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:40 pm

What happens if you disable JFBConnect ? And use only joomla login?

tpaljr63
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby tpaljr63 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Had the same issue until I upgraded the PHP to 7.1 - I was using 7.0 when i updated to Joomla 3.7.5.

Once i updated to use PHP 7.1 Frontend Editing started working like a charm.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:45 pm

tpaljr63 wrote:Had the same issue until I upgraded the PHP to 7.1 - I was using 7.0 when i updated to Joomla 3.7.5.

Once i updated to use PHP 7.1 Frontend Editing started working like a charm.

THAT is the best lead that I have had so far, and I thank you for it!

I am currently on PHP 7.0.22 on SiteGround. I will have to see what options they offer.

Pretty sure 7.0.22 met the requirements for 3.7.5.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 pm

Up'd to 7.1.8 but still have the same problem.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:51 pm

jbritton wrote:Up'd to 7.1.8 but still have the same problem.

Created new problem with a third party component so I rolled back.

Redbui
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Redbui » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:01 am

jbritton wrote:Since updating to 3.7.5 last week, I've discovered that registered users with edit privileges (including myself, an admin) cannot edit from the Front End. Back End works fine.

User logs in (via JFB Connect) and clicks the edit icon. The screen "loops" around to the same page as if they had never clicked on the icon. (In the Back End, the document has been "checked out".)

I also use Easy Blog and Joomla Events Manager. The ability to edit these from the Front End is also impaired.

Have a huge event coming up that is dependent upon Front End event entry, starting September 1. Starting to panic!

Make sure you properly and completely clear your browser's cache. Clear your site cache..Check and delete the session table in your database or try with backup template.

jbritton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby jbritton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Redbui wrote:
jbritton wrote:Since updating to 3.7.5 last week, I've discovered that registered users with edit privileges (including myself, an admin) cannot edit from the Front End. Back End works fine.

Make sure you properly and completely clear your browser's cache. Clear your site cache..Check and delete the session table in your database or try with backup template.

Done many times. Happens across multiple systems, multiple operating systems, multiple browsers, different users, etc. Global and consistent symptoms.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Please viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 to check if you are missing something in your server

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Can you also double check what do you have in content-Articles-Options-Editing Layout-Show Publishing Options and Show Article Options? Also what happens if you disable JFBConnect?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”