Tips for Data Project

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Vitesze
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Tips for Data Project

Post by Vitesze » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm working on a project with electronic devices (Arduino) that collect environmental data. Currently, they upload this data to a website through a webhook, from where I can access the data in an Excel-spreadsheet.

However, as the project will grow in the future with more devices being added this won't remain such a practical method of data-analysis anymore. As I have some experience with Joomla before, my idea was to set up a website to which I can send my sensor data, and then to neatly display this data per sensor.

Some more info: the data currently is sent in JSON format, but can be sent in any text-based format really. When transformed from JSON into a table, it looks something like this:

Timestamp---Device---Column 1---Column 2
12/12/10:45---101---5.33---4
12/12/10:37--102---4.78--5
12/12/10:22--103---5.12--2
12/12/09:56--101---6.04--3
12/12/09:33--103---5.12--2

On my website, I would like to have some kind of dropdown-menu where I first select the device (e.g. 101, 102, 103) and then for all the data linked to that device (but no others) to be displayed in a table view. This way, I (and others) can easily search for data from one device, without having to access huge Excel spreadsheets and having to filter out stuff first.

Is this something that can be done through Joomla without too much effort? It has been a long time since I did anything with Joomla, so are there any extensions that could help with this? Any help is very much appreciated!

lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Tips for Data Project

Post by lefteriskavadas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 am

Hi,

No, I don't think that this can be done without a custom extension.
Joomla Extensions https://www.firecoders.com/

Achaa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Tips for Data Project

Post by Achaa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 pm

If the data is in Excel format, it can easily be imported into MySQL and from there, any number of Joomla extensions can handle it.
You could try 'data reports' in the JED.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”