Joomla 3.8.3 Templates Admin Page Broken

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 3.8.3 Templates Admin Page Broken

Post by hairydalek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Something I’ve just noticed (I’ve not needed to look at this page before). This is on both my development site here (a backup of what’s on the server), as well as the live site. Right now I’m trying to see how I can fix this locally.

If I go to Extensions>Templates>Templates, the page is broken.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 13.41.26.PNG
If I look at the source, there is no header, just the content for that specific page.

There is nothing before this, and after the code for the list of templates, nothing else. It’s just literally the content of the page. No html tag, no header, not even an enclosing body.

I have tried a few things - fixes suggested for issues like this I have found include emptying caches (both Joomla and Browser), re-installing the template (which is hard as I can’t swap the admin template for something else as the page to do this is the broken one - I used the Extension>Manage>Manage menu). I have also tried overwriting the Joomla installation with a new download, removing and re-installing the Isis template (though both admin templates seem affected).

I’ve tried using various debug settings, hoping errors get written to the log when this page is accessed, but no luck there. No errors on the page, no errors in the logs. It’s almost as if the main template is being ignored.

Tried Database fix - again, no change.

Any other ideas what to look for? Maybe something in the database that needs tweaking? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Joomla 3.8.3 Templates Admin Page Broken

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Is it just that page, or the whole administrator back-end? I'd have expected if it was misbehaving, it would be the entire administrator side, not just a particular screen/option.

Even in the broken screen, near the top of the left side, there is a drop down box, you can choose "site" or "administrator" which will list the admin templates (there should be at least two listed).

Choose "Administrator" and it should give you two choices - ISIS or the other one.

If you can't do it from that screen, go into PHPMyAdmin and choose the other template there. It should be in the _templates table (or similar); set the value to "0" for ISIS and change it to "1" for the other, (this is a temporary fix to see if the other template loads more correctly) and see if the other template loads properly. Save the database settings, return to the site and refresh.

Does it do the same thing in other browsers, other devices, other computers?

Did you do any updates recently prior to this occurring?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm

It's caused by broken code in one of the templates. Typical for a site upgraded from 2.5. Remove the old incompatible templates and it will work again.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Can you extract from a clean copy of the Joomla download package, only the "ISIS" template folder and upload that (to refresh the files).?

You said you tried to reinstall Joomla with a fresh set of files, but did you do this through the JOomla update screen(there is a method there to reinstall Joomla) or did you just overwrite all the system files from the download package?

Running the FPA report will help us identify any issues - viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:It's caused by broken code in one of the templates. Typical for a site upgraded from 2.5. Remove the old incompatible templates and it will work again.

Hi,
thanks all. It looks like this could be the problem. Damn - it’s a template I created for the site too. I guess I’ll have to look at those and debug them.

I uninstalled it, and now I can’t re-install it. I get a blank page in the Discover page. Must be causing an error somewhere.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”