Recommendations for cleaning up my installation

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jgold723
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Recommendations for cleaning up my installation

Post by jgold723 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:50 am

I have a Joomla 3.8 site. It's been around for years -- started out as a 1.0 site.

In that time we've installed plugins/modules/components, uninstalled some, disabled some, etc. As a result, things are kind of messy on the admin side.

I'd like to go in and do some cleaning/pruning. I'm sure old extensions pose a security risk and at the very least, they also make administering the site that much harder.

What's the best way to do this? I just tried uninstalling one unused extension and got the white screen of death. I was able to resolve that on but I don't want to see that again if I can help it.

Whatever I do, I will backup before. But other advice would be greatly appreciated.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Recommendations for cleaning up my installation

Post by AMurray » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Yes, uninstall unused extensions - but I don't know about the WSOD issue. Perhaps, turn on error reporting so you get the actual PHP error showing on screen if that happens again.

What extension did you try to uninstall?

Can you try uninstalling others (hopefully the WSOD was a one-off issue)?

I use the myjooma.com service, and it's very useful for a lot of things. It can run an audit of your site and give you a listing of issues and things that may need attention, not the least of which would be uninstalling the unused extensions.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Recommendations for cleaning up my installation

Post by sozzled » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 pm

jgold723 wrote:I have a Joomla 3.8 site. It's been around for years -- started out as a 1.0 site.
I'm pleased to read about a happy little Joomla camper. ;) Remembering that J! 1.0 is now over 11 years since the last version was released for that series, your site has, indeed, "been around for years".

In all honesty, all websites eventually reach a stage when critical strategic decisions need to be taken. No matter how well people may have attended to a religious maintenance régime—the usual chores of keeping software up to date and keeping a watchful eye over potential security problems—all websites eventually need to be thoroughly overhauled.

I'm pleased to read that you're seeking advice on how best to approach this watershed moment in your website's timeline. I wish more people were like you and started thinking about how their websites continue to meet the challenge of doing business in the modern world, to keep pace with the advancements in technology that have occurred over time. When you think about it, 11 years ago few people accessed websites from smartphones or tablet devices (in fact, the the first iPhone was only released released 10½ years ago). Social media then was a kind of novelty: Twitter is not yet 11 years old; Instagram and Pinterest were both launched less than 8 years ago. So a lot has changed.

I was researching material for an article I wrote yesterday and found an interesting piece of advice: "As you ask yourself, “should I update my website?” is the exact moment you need to start planning to do so."

In conclusion, while it's certainly feasible to do some spring cleaning with your existing website, it may be better to develop a new site starting from a clean foundation, that uses what you really need to use, instead of taking a piecemeal approach to patching what you've currently got. FWIW, good luck. Cheers. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”