Need some help with the way forward please!

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
cgon00
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Need some help with the way forward please!

Post by cgon00 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi there.

I would not say Joomla is one of my strongest skillsets but I am trying to learn and read.

I'm using the favthemes free template called favourite.

My current in dev site is here www.tanelornwgc.com/joomla (replacing http://tanelornwgc.com/)

What I really want to do is set up the home page with 6 articles (3x2) that highlight the games played at the club. So 6 artciels with a photo and Read More (or just a hyperinked photo) to the relevant article about that game system. Once the link is clicked, the current home page is cleared and the whole relevant game article is shown on the page replacing the original 3x2 grid of game articles.

I've played around with modules and module positions as show here -
http://demo.favthemes.com/favourite/ind ... -positions

But I'm finding it hard to understand how to do this.

If I create a custom module linked to a single article at a relevant position (say SCREEN1), then when I click the link for the article it opens the article up in what appears to me to be the ARTICLE_TITLE position. What I would like it do is essentially replace the 3x2 grid of articles with the linked article shown as one page (much like what happens when you choose any of the About the Club options.)

The latest version of trying to do this is creating a Newsflash Module which is where I have left it at now before getting a little frustrated about not understanding how to go ahead with this.

Apologies if this is not the right place to post and if this is not the done thing here. Thanks.

Jaydot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Need some help with the way forward please!

Post by Jaydot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Goodness, that template has an awful lot of rows with module positions!
While what you are describing is essentially standard Joomla behaviour for a menu-item of the category-blog type, you don't need to use any modules to achieve the effect you describe...
If you assign modules to the screen1 position (or any other top or bottom module position), they will remain fixed there, when you change to "one article" view.
The actual content (your articles) will be placed in the main content area, confusingly named "Article Title" in your template's positions.
So I'd remove the modules, assign a category ("frontpage articles" or something) to your six articles, make your homepage a menu-item of the category-blog type and choose the category, set up the menu-item to display in a 3 x 2 grid (no main article, six intro-articles and three columns).
Showing just a hyperlinked photo instead of your articles intro text is possible IF your templates supports hyperlinked images in the "Images and Links" tab of the article. If it does, start the article with a "read more" and you will see just the image. Joomla's default template Protostar will do this beautifully right out of the box, but not all templates support a clickable intro-image.
Hope this helps...
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

cgon00
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cgon00 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

@Jaydot

That is hugely helpful. I believe I have done what you stated but the first tile on the left of the main homepage now shows the category-type. Is there any way of removing this. Huge thanks.

Its been a learning experience re the modules side of things. Trial and error but fun.

Jaydot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jaydot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am

Looking good :).
Now is the time to experiment with all the settings for your menu-item, in all the tabs. Such as showing or hiding the category name (it's an on/off slider in the Category tab).
I once spent a whole day playing around with the settings for a category-blog menu, it's quite amazing what you can achieve (I made a "catblog grid demo", there's a link to it in the text on the front page of my website).
As you say: trial and error and great fun! Especially if you get it all to look the way you want it to :).
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.

cgon00
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cgon00 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I had a place holder article there with the same name as the Category - grrrrrr!

Huge thanks Jaydot. Can I just say how helpful, pleasant and informative your communication style is. Its really refreshing in this day and age to see this sort of attitude on forums such as these.

I'm going to ask another question. At present I am using a Social Media slider add on mod. Its great and everything but I was wondering if you know of a mod that would allow me to output FB Page (not group) latest posts to an article on the Home Page.

Jaydot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jaydot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 am

Glad I could help!

I'm afraid I don't use many extensions, so I couldn't recommend one for Facebook output to articles.
Also, the forum rules prefer a new topic for a new question, so I'd open a new topic in the Extensions forum and ask for recommendations there.

In the meantime, you could search the JED (Joomla Extensions Directory - https://extensions.joomla.org/) for an extension that meets your requirements. Not all extensions were created equal, so examine them carefully for stuff like regular updates, support, good reviews, a working demo, using the Joomla Update system, etc. before you make any decisions.

Good luck :).

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”