Spreadsheets In Modules

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Spreadsheets In Modules

Postby Newman123 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 am

Greetings everybody, I was wondering what everybody does when they are looking to display information from a spreadsheet in a module.. Ideally I want a kind of running total, so I can amend the spreadsheet, and the current information is displayed as a module on my page.. Is that even possible, and what are the best solutions available to me, for free.. Thanks in advance..

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Spreadsheets In Modules

Postby AMurray » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 am

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... roptables/ does what you want - there might be others.

It might depend on the application you create the spreadsheet with e.g. Excel, Google Sheets or OpenOffice etc.

The above one is paid and I'm not sure if you will get exactly what you want for a free-of-charge module.

Other possibilities including such categories:
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... s-a-lists/
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... a-reports/

Note most of these are paid extensions.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Newman123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm

AMurray wrote:https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/news-display/tables-a-lists/droptables/ does what you want - there might be others.

It might depend on the application you create the spreadsheet with e.g. Excel, Google Sheets or OpenOffice etc.

The above one is paid and I'm not sure if you will get exactly what you want for a free-of-charge module.

Other possibilities including such categories:
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... s-a-lists/
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... a-reports/

Note most of these are paid extensions.

Thanks for the help, yeh most people seem to want to rip people off and charge for them, it's a shame.. I Think I will just have to stick a table in there, and update the information myself, as opposed to getting it to update itself, I will never pay for any extensions, never in a million years..

Jaydot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby Jaydot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm

You can embed Google Sheets in articles or modules. Works a treat. The embed code uses an iframe, so you must make sure your editor allows insertion of iframes.
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

frostmakk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby frostmakk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 pm

most people seem to want to rip people off and charge for them, it's a shame..

If you feel that these extensions are so dead easy to make that it is a rip off, why don't you make one, and give it away for free?

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby gws » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:50 pm

@frostmark +1

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Postby sozzled » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 pm

@Newman123: there are extensions that allow people to insert spreadsheet content into the Joomla websites. We would be happy to point you to those extensions except for your lack of consideration towards other members of the Joomla community.

Newman123 wrote:I will just have to stick a table in there, and update the information myself, as opposed to getting it to update itself
That's a probably a good idea in your situation.

Newman123 wrote:I will never pay for any extensions, never in a million years.
Good for you but it might be better to keep your opinion to yourself.

Newman123 wrote:Most people seem to want to rip people off and charge for them, it's a shame
What evidence do you have to make this allegation? As a developer, myself, I find that allegation offensive. From the other side of the fence, my experience has been that the majority of people who've freely downloaded the extensions that I built have merely siphoned them off without so much as a "thank you" or posting a review on the JED. Is it any wonder, therefore, that, when we're not given any credit for writing software at zero cost to you (sometimes after spending weeks building and testing thost things), we're tired of the lack of common courtesy or consideration for what we do? Think about what you've written and how it affects others: if your opinion is symptomatic of people in general, if your opinion is that other people should do your work for you and you're not obligated to give anything except criticism in return, then we might as well close up shop and let it be the end of it.

I doubt we'll hear from @Newman123 but it will be a cold day in Hades before I'll be offering that person any help on this forum! >:(

I agree with @frostmakk (another +1 from me, too).
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Newman123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:20 am

sozzled wrote:@Newman123: there are extensions that allow people to insert spreadsheet content into the Joomla websites. We would be happy to point you to those extensions except for your lack of consideration towards other members of the Joomla community.

Newman123 wrote:I will just have to stick a table in there, and update the information myself, as opposed to getting it to update itself
That's a probably a good idea in your situation.

Newman123 wrote:I will never pay for any extensions, never in a million years.
Good for you but it might be better to keep your opinion to yourself.

Newman123 wrote:Most people seem to want to rip people off and charge for them, it's a shame
What evidence do you have to make this allegation? As a developer, myself, I find that allegation offensive. From the other side of the fence, my experience has been that the majority of people who've freely downloaded the extensions that I built have merely siphoned them off without so much as a "thank you" or posting a review on the JED. Is it any wonder, therefore, that, when we're not given any credit for writing software at zero cost to you (sometimes after spending weeks building and testing thost things), we're tired of the lack of common courtesy or consideration for what we do? Think about what you've written and how it affects others: if your opinion is symptomatic of people in general, if your opinion is that other people should do your work for you and you're not obligated to give anything except criticism in return, then we might as well close up shop and let it be the end of it.

I doubt we'll hear from @Newman123 but it will be a cold day in Hades before I'll be offering that person any help on this forum! >:(

I agree with @frostmakk (another +1 from me, too).

Why would you not hear from me on my own post.. The irony is not lost on me either, telling people to keep their opinions to themselves and then giving an opinion, jolly good.. At the end of the day, if you can't help me, then don't I'm sure Joomla won't collapse because you don't help people.. I for one, and I repeat this, will never pay for an extension,ever.. If a platform isn't free, as I am running a non - profit organisation, then so be it. if people want to donate them, then of course that's fine, but for me, should people profit from knowledge, I don't remember plato making a million out of his knowledge.. Knowledge should always be free, what next people paying to go to school..

Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Newman123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 am

Jaydot wrote:You can embed Google Sheets in articles or modules. Works a treat. The embed code uses an iframe, so you must make sure your editor allows insertion of iframes.

Ah finally someone who doesn't think the world revolves around them, with no ego.. Thanks for the tip, I may research into it, I'm not sure my editor allows them, I kinda use the default one, although I do wish they'd stick a spell checker in it lol.. I was hoping for the mathematic functionality in my table though, so I could just enter a formula and it would add itself, kinda like the expression builder in an MS access report, thanks for the tip yeh, much appreciated..

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby Gany » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 am

Newman123 wrote:Thanks for the help, yeh most people seem to want to rip people off and charge for them, it's a shame.. I Think I will just have to stick a table in there, and update the information myself, as opposed to getting it to update itself, I will never pay for any extensions, never in a million years..

If you think it's that easy to create an extension, why did you ask for support here? Tell me, do you work for free? No? Why is that? Don't you think that is ripping off and charging people? If you don't want to pay for an extension, create them yourself. Free of charge, of course.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:06 am

@Newman123 You are pretty new to these forums and you have a high level of pretentious statements made in your post. The core Joomla software is free and will always be free. We have thousands of people who contribute one way or the other to the Joomla project free of any payments as volunteers. I spend per week besides my commercial operations (do I rip off people when I spend 20 hours on a migration for a Joomla user and asking him to pay for my time? )

Many people do make a living with the Joomla software which is fully their right within the Open Source world. You might be amazed but Joomla is only so good and big thanks to all the extension developers who provide software either free or in a specific business model (free software but upgrades and support payable is common habit)

Without commercial extensions Joomla would not exist imho since it would be a simple empty strong cabinet without anything to show.

Do you really believe that a media company which you claim to operate can have a proper reputation while free hosting with a free non-branded domain name with a standard Joomla template and the Joomla favicon in your browser and dozens of dead links? You are a media company and do not brand your own domain? I suggest you attend to these issues or have a professional help you (oh just one question " do you pay license fees for your Microsoft licenses?"

Just smiling Paul!

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
Member Joomla Bug Squad & Joomla CMS Release Team

Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Newman123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 am

leolam wrote:@Newman123 You are pretty new to these forums and you have a high level of pretentious statements made in your post. The core Joomla software is free and will always be free. We have thousands of people who contribute one way or the other to the Joomla project free of any payments as volunteers. I spend per week besides my commercial operations (do I rip off people when I spend 20 hours on a migration for a Joomla user and asking him to pay for my time? )

Many people do make a living with the Joomla software which is fully their right within the Open Source world. You might be amazed but Joomla is only so good and big thanks to all the extension developers who provide software either free or in a specific business model (free software but upgrades and support payable is common habit)

Without commercial extensions Joomla would not exist imho since it would be a simple empty strong cabinet without anything to show.

Do you really believe that a media company which you claim to operate can have a proper reputation while free hosting with a free non-branded domain name with a standard Joomla template and the Joomla favicon in your browser and dozens of dead links? You are a media company and do not brand your own domain? I suggest you attend to these issues or have a professional help you (oh just one question " do you pay license fees for your Microsoft licenses?"

Just smiling Paul!

Leo 8)

We haven't spent a penny so far to get where we are, so we are happy with where we are, and will continue to do so, each to their own Leo. Personally I feel that every extension I use is perfectly serviceable with no cost incurred whatsoever. I would encourage everybody to use the free stuff, such as free hosting, free streaming etc, throwing money at something does not make it better automatically does it.. As for the Joomla icon, we haven't got a logo yet, and as soon as we have it will be gone lol, it's a bit annoying I will grant you that.. It's a shame such a Joomla master couldn't offer a solution as opposed to an attack, but again each to their own..

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:14 am

Newman123 wrote:It's a shame such a Joomla master couldn't offer a solution as opposed to an attack, but again each to their own..
Not attack just citing findings. Next as solution you might try out "sourcerer" https://www.regularlabs.com/extensions/sourcerer (free)

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
Member Joomla Bug Squad & Joomla CMS Release Team

Newman123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Newman123 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:26 am

leolam wrote:
Newman123 wrote:It's a shame such a Joomla master couldn't offer a solution as opposed to an attack, but again each to their own..
Not attack just citing findings. Next as solution you might try out "sourcerer" https://www.regularlabs.com/extensions/sourcerer (free)

Leo 8)

Yeh I've got the Regular Labs extension manager, and I have that, but I'm not one hundred percent certain what it does, like a lot of it, I'm kinda learning as I go along, I've just kinda enabled everything and they seem to just do their own thing, or nothing, that's how I knackered my sites for a few weeks with some language filter plug in.. It's all interesting stuff..

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”