create social forum for a specific group

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
mervt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

create social forum for a specific group

Post by mervt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Has anybody had any experience in creating a private social forum (chat, posting, uploading and downloading, sharing documents etc.) but only to a specific group of users on my joomla 3.5 website.
Something like this forum but unless a user from a specific group logged in to the forum they couldn't even see the forums.
I envision a menu item when clicked, a login page would open. The user, if approved, would be able to log in. At that time the entire forum and social network would open up for them.

Thanks for any info.

Flayologist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: create social forum for a specific group

Post by Flayologist » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:31 pm

isnt this already part of the core functionality of Joomla....I mean it is after all the reason that User Groups exist in the User Manager. And why you can assign specific permissions to menu items and articles, modules etc...

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: create social forum for a specific group

Post by JAVesey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Flayologist wrote:isnt this already part of the core functionality of Joomla....I mean it is after all the reason that User Groups exist in the User Manager. And why you can assign specific permissions to menu items and articles, modules etc...
^^ This.

Take a look at the Kunena forums component. It does everything you need.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”