need to create www.website.com/page - how to do this?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
pendulum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

need to create www.website.com/page - how to do this?

Postby pendulum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Hello,

Trying to help a non-technical friend add a page to their Joomla website. They want an "events" page as a child of the root directory (http://www.website.com/events), which they will populate with information. The page is not to appear in the menu, nor will it be linked to anywhere from within the site. It is meant to be a standalone URL that is directly accessed by typing it in (part of a mailer campaign).

I have experience in HTML & CSS and thought this would be straight-forward so I volunteered to help, but I'm unfamiliar with Joomla and after spending some time tinkering, I'm stumped.

I've tried creating a new article "events" and published it, however it doesn't appear. I have tried changing the categories it is filed under, this does not seem to affect it. I have created categories just for this page but it does not appear to change anything.

They're using the ZOO extension, so I've also tried creating a new ZOO item "events", and created a new ZOO category "events", and assigned. Still does not appear.

I have tried clearing the cache after every change, to no effect.

How do we accomplish this with Joomla? My mistake for thinking this was straight-forward!

john-doe
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: need to create www.website.com/page - how to do this?

Postby john-doe » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Have you tried assigning a menu item to that Zoo event?
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

pendulum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby pendulum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 pm

john-doe wrote:Have you tried assigning a menu item to that Zoo event?

Thanks for your response.

They specifically don't want this item to be on any menu. It's just a standalone page.

I tried creating the page on Notepad in raw HTML and uploading it to the server as well, but that does not work either.

john-doe
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby john-doe » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Try an "unused menu" set a new menu and a new item. The link will be set just configure it and you have the link ready.

Just configure it like any menu item. Only don't put the menu nowhere and your link /page is ready
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

pendulum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby pendulum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Fantastic, this worked - thank you!

I'm a bit confused on why we need to create a menu item to publish a page, but whatever it takes...

Thanks john-doe, I appreciate your time and guidance. Cheers!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”