How can I use a background image with Protostar?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How can I use a background image with Protostar?

Post by sinister7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am

I am using the default protostar template and I want to use a background image in place of the blank space around the content container. Where would I be able to put this?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled - all CAPS not allowed, please read the forum rules about choosing appropriate subject line from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: BACKGROUND IMAGE

Post by AMurray » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 am

I think you would specify the ''background" property in your user.css file. There's no template option to set the background image in Protostar (at least I don't believe there is)..

yThe image would go somewhere easy to remember, such as your "images" folder (upload with FTP or your the media manager).

Something like

Code: Select all

body {
   background-image: url("paper.gif");
   background-color: #cccccc;
}
You may have to include the full file path pointing to the image like "/images/your-pic.jpg".

Not sure why it would have background color as well but maybe if the images don't work (such as a a user turning off displaying images in the browser, it degrades 'gracefully' with a suitable background color and doesn't leave you with plain white in the absence of the image. The example #cccccc is a medium shade of grey, but change it to your liking. There are sites on the web that can give you the 'hex' code for the colors.

I think this is right, but someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

You use the "user.css" file (create it if it doesn't exist) so the next joomla update doesn't overwrite it. You could put this in the template's template.css file, but the next core update will overwrite it and wipe-out your change.

For more on HTML and CSS tips for page background images, see https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_bac ... -image.asp.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

venci
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How can I use a background image with Protostar?

Post by venci » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 am

Hi
In the JED there is a plugin with which you can put a background image of the body.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... -image-sv/
Hope this helps

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: BACKGROUND IMAGE

Post by sinister7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am

AMurray wrote:I think you would specify the ''background" property in your user.css file. There's no template option to set the background image in Protostar (at least I don't believe there is)..

yThe image would go somewhere easy to remember, such as your "images" folder (upload with FTP or your the media manager).

Something like

Code: Select all

body {
   background-image: url("paper.gif");
   background-color: #cccccc;
}
You may have to include the full file path pointing to the image like "/images/your-pic.jpg".

Not sure why it would have background color as well but maybe if the images don't work (such as a a user turning off displaying images in the browser, it degrades 'gracefully' with a suitable background color and doesn't leave you with plain white in the absence of the image. The example #cccccc is a medium shade of grey, but change it to your liking. There are sites on the web that can give you the 'hex' code for the colors.

I think this is right, but someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

You use the "user.css" file (create it if it doesn't exist) so the next joomla update doesn't overwrite it. You could put this in the template's template.css file, but the next core update will overwrite it and wipe-out your change.

For more on HTML and CSS tips for page background images, see https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_bac ... -image.asp.
Hi, thanks for replying. I created the user.css file and put the code in as you said but nothing changes. Here is the code I used:

body {
background-image: url("/images/WEBSITEWALLPAPER.jpeg");
}

This is the name of the image in the media. At the moment, the background is green which I set in the template style. I added the background colour property you provided but it didn't change to grey. I'm not sure why it isn't linking and making changes.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 am

venci wrote:Hi
In the JED there is a plugin with which you can put a background image of the body.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... -image-sv/
Hope this helps
Hi, thanks for replying. I installed the extension that you provided and enabled it but I'm not sure where it is. I assumed it would appear in the template style but it isn't there. Where would I find the customisation setup?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:22 pm

It's listed as a Plugin. I will suggest Plugin Manager.

Files are case sensitive in Linux. Are the file name in all upper-case with a lower-case type?

Use the browser's diagnostic tools to investigate.

venci
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by venci » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi,
Hi, thanks for replying. I installed the extension that you provided and enabled it but I'm not sure where it is. I assumed it would appear in the template style but it isn't there. Where would I find the customisation setup?
As you said Per Yngve Berg, this is a plugin. Its settings are managed by the plugin manager.
More about the plugins you can read here https://docs.joomla.org/Help38:Extensio ... in_Manager

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 am

It worked. :)

Using the plugin was inevitably more straightforward than the ineffective code.

Thanks a lot for your help.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:47 am

It definitely works, but on two of the pages of my website it disappears. Why is that and how can I fix it?

venci
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by venci » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi,
The code that AMurray suggested is not ineffective, you just need to know how to use it. :)
If you provide a link to a page that doesn't work, you might get a solution to the problem.
If you think this is a plugin problem, contact its developer.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:09 pm

venci wrote:Hi,
The code that AMurray suggested is not ineffective, you just need to know how to use it. :)
If you provide a link to a page that doesn't work, you might get a solution to the problem.
If you think this is a plugin problem, contact its developer.
That's what I meant it probably didn't work because I didn't put it in right. :-[

https://s6046788.scm.tees.ac.uk/joomla7

venci
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by venci » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm getting an error message when I try to see your site:
Unauthorized
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 pm

I though that might happen. This website is for my university project. When I access it with this address it takes me to my website on this domain. When I add '/administrator' on the end, it allows me to access the administrator dashboard and edit my website. I don't think you can access it because it's using my university's source?

venci
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by venci » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 pm

hi,
Sorry, but I do not have access to your site.
Someone who has access can help.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 pm

venci wrote:hi,
Sorry, but I do not have access to your site.
Someone who has access can help.
Oh ok.

sinister7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sinister7 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I will contact the developer.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”