Cannot change custom field category

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
andrewmwinkler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cannot change custom field category

Post by andrewmwinkler » Thu May 24, 2018 2:16 am

When creating custom fields I cannot change the category that field is associated with. By default the selection is "All categories". However, that's not only messy, because then the field is displayed on occasions where it makes no sense. I assume, it also wastes a lot of storage and slows down the database unnecessarily. It's even worse, when the field - on those occasions where the field is needed - must be a required field. Then users are forced to fill in the field in forms where it makes no sense. The problem is that if I delete "All categories" and replace it with the one category the field is needed for, I cannot save the custom field. I get an error saying something like:

Code: Select all

Save failed with the following error: Duplicate entry 'Composition-of-Economy' for key 'slug'
It makes no difference, whether custom field 'Composition of Economy' is a textarea or editor field. I have this problem with other fields and categories too.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Cannot change custom field category

Post by toivo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:53 pm

You are working on Articles: Fields and when you edit a custom field, you are unable to change the Category from 'All Categories'. Which version of Joomla do you have?

Please post the output from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531 so that other can see if there is some explanation for the issue in the configuration.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”