How to publish modules to article view (from blog links so no direct menu item) but NOT the parent category view blog?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to publish modules to article view (from blog links so no direct menu item) but NOT the parent category view blog?

Post by Peter Clements » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Been a long times since I've been in the Joomla game. I've searched here, Google and JED but can't find a definitive answer. I wasn't sure if Joomla had moved on a bit to provide these capabilities or if there's a clever method out there to achieve what I'm after...

I'd like to publish modules to a module position within my template so that they display on the article view pages that don't have a direct menu item linking to them (the URIs are auto-generate from the blog view anchors) but I don't want the module to display on the top level parent category view.

e.g.

[NO MODULES] /blog
[SHOW MODULES] /blog/123-this-is-an-article-in-this-category
[SHOW MODULES] /blog/456-another-article-from-the-blog

Especially important because I'd like to show other articles within the current category but it doesn't make sense for this to display on the parent blog page. I'm surprised there isn't an option to do this within the 'Articles - Category' module when in Dynamic mode. Unless I'm missing something.

Any advice or instructions welcomed. Many thanks in advance.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: How to publish modules to article view (from blog links so no direct menu item) but NOT the parent category view blo

Post by effrit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 pm

There is extension - 'Advanced module manager', or you can write condition in template to show module position only if view = article.

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How to publish modules to article view (from blog links so no direct menu item) but NOT the parent category view blo

Post by Peter Clements » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am

deleted user wrote:Maybe check this page:
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_put_ ... article%3F
Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately this is going to be a very busy blog with multiple contributors so not practical to require a manually inserted module position per article. Some of the editors will probably me maxing out their tech skills too.

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Peter Clements » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am

effrit wrote:There is extension - 'Advanced module manager', or you can write condition in template to show module position only if view = article.
Thank you for replying.

I was really trying to avoid any template modifications as we're using an off the shelf template with custom CSS etc and don't want to re-hack with future updates.

I will take a look at Advanced Module Manager - this rings a bell with me now, I'm sure I've come across it in the past. Thank you! :)

Peter Clements
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Peter Clements » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

So, problem solved.

The Advanced Module Manager extension was the key, it does exactly what I was after!

Thank you very much to both who replied with suggestions.

:) :) :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”