Media layout does not change

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
nubro01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Media layout does not change

Post by nubro01 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi,

I created and example site in the latest Joomla and asked if they had some pictures.
I got several pictures and of course all had a different layout.
I showed them how the pictures looked when you do not have any layout standards and I changed all supplied images to 450x600 portrait layout and i removed all images with the media manager.
Next I imported the new images and 2 out of the 5, kept showing as landscape. When I select show image then a portait image is shown.
On the sample website, I keep getting the landscape versions. Within the articles I have removed all height and width, because all images are 450x600, as shown in explorer.
I have been looking for a thumbs cache and I cleared all cache, looked for thumbs.db within my website but nothing found (yes I show hidden files!)
Does anybody know what is going on and how to resolve? Changing names and clearing meta data of the files, does not help either.
Thanks

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Media layout does not change

Post by leolam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Nowadays every photo taken with a mobile phone or digital camera contains metadata. This metadata, called Exif data, contains information about your camera, like brand and model name and the dimensions of the image When you upload the image which contains this metadata and you resize it it will keep using the EXIF meta.

You need to convert the EXIF image and remove the EXIF meta to get the result. You can do this if you download XNViewmp I use this when uploading images that contain EXIF meta. Alternatively have a good read on this article and use the Microsoft option as described https://www.lifewire.com/why-is-my-pict ... ys-1701398

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

nubro01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Media layout does not change

Post by nubro01 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks, I used explorer to clear the meta data and that worked for 3 out of the five.
With XNViewmp, I indeed saw that these two had EXIF data still present, I used XNViewmp, to clean it.
Thanks, I learned something again and that after all these years. ;-)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”