taking over building unfinished Joomla website ,first time user

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
tbyrne99
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

taking over building unfinished Joomla website ,first time user

Post by tbyrne99 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello Joomla forum
I'm trying to finish a website that someone else started (not in contact with original builder) but having trouble navigating around the administrator.
I've never used Joomla before,have watched the introductory "basic how to " video courses but I run into trouble when trying to figure out where to find things in the original builder's work.

Is there a way to go back to square one without deleting the entire website as it is now ,uninstalling Joomla then reinstalling and starting over completely ?

Thanks in advance for your help

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: taking over building unfinished Joomla website ,first time user

Post by AMurray » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Can you please describe exactly what you need to do as far as finishing the site. e.g. "How do I change (such and such) on (such and such) page"......and provide a link to the pages you're asking about. From specific questions we can also direct you to the right documentation or other resources that can assist you.

The following may help to start: https://docs.joomla.org/Portal:Beginners

Some other tips:
* When asking questions about Joomla (of a technical nature), using the Forum Post Assistant is the best way for us to see the information required to answer the questions: viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531.

* Review the forum rules - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65.

For your immediate issue the first thing is to do is determine what it is you need to change or finish on your site - describe what you want to do, and we can point you to the administrator functions to get there.

e.g. A list of typical site maintenance & administration tasks done on Joomla sites:

(1) add a new page and/or edit an existing page (Articles)
(2) add common content to all pages (Modules)
(4) add and/or edit a menu
(5) install extensions
(6) Add further functionality to your site (e.g. Components & Plugins)
(6) backup/restore your site.

You were asking if it's just simpler to start over, but until we see the site and what stage its at, the answer would be "no" (tentatively), until we know more about the site (if it's a complex or simple site etc). If you reinstall Joomla, it's effectively a clean slate, i.e. you lose everything, but there are ways to backup your database (from which JOomla runs) and import content but that sounds like more complex tasks for another question and time. For now, please just tell us what yo need to achieve with the site as it is currently.

Please also be aware, this forum is volunteer-run, and an answer may not be forthcoming as quickly as you would like. If someone can answer your questions they will, in due time (as their time allows).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

tbyrne99
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tbyrne99 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you A Murray for your reply....will have a look around the info you provided and do the video tutorials before I try to change anything :)
cheers
Teri

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am

Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage >>> view all ... order ID descending. The added components, modules and plugins will appear at the top of the core Joomla ones. You can open a second tab/window for /administrator to find them (in Extensions >>> modules and Extensions >>> plugins) to edit their options.

Also install wamp on your PC. In wamp's /www folder create two new folders ... in one install Joomla with learn sample data and in the other install Joomla without sample data. Great learning curve.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”