Privacy: Create Request

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Privacy: Create Request

Post by JAVesey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Evening all,

I have a quick query which I'm sure someone will by able to answer about using one of the privacy tools in v3.9.0

What I've done:
1. The "Privacy - Create Request" form can only be seen by logged in users - default behaviour and as I want it.
2. I've made the required menu item (Privacy --> Create Request) and it's "green lighted" on the dashboard.
3. I've made the menu item "public" so anyone can see/access it.

So far so good, but here's the bit I need help with...

I have:
1. User clicks on the link and goes to the login form.
2. After logging in, the user is taken to their profile.
3. User has to click on the menu item again to get to the "Create Request" form.

I want:
1. User clicks on the link and goes to the login form.
2. After logging in, the user is taken directly to the "Create Request" form.

What do I need to do/change to get what I want rather than what I have?

TIA
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Privacy: Create Request

Post by darb » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:53 am

+ 1
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SharkyKZ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 am

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am

SharkyKZ wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 am
Test this please https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/22927.
Tested and happy to confirm that it works beautifully :)

Thank you.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

wfnitsup
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wfnitsup » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm

I find the fact that the user must first login as good but there is no indication that the user must then click the menu item a second time to get the form.

This only gives a selection of Export or remove/delete. I believe a explenation of what the user may do here. And a text field needs to be added so the user can add text if requied.

Therefore the menu Item need only appear once the user has logged in. For me this was not clear in the first instance.

To create a request is good but the user needs to be informed how this works and what they can do and how they can do it without keeping it a secret as the case seems to be.

we must remember not everyone is a IT engineer.

Look foreward to any constructive responses.

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:27 pm

wfnitsup wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm
I find the fact that the user must first login as good but there is no indication that the user must then click the menu item a second time to get the form.
This was the reason for my initial query.

wfnitsup wrote:
This only gives a selection of Export or remove/delete. I believe a explenation of what the user may do here. And a text field needs to be added so the user can add text if requied.
Of course, and that is up to the site owner/maintainer to do by whatever means they consider appropriate. There are lots of ways to achieve this.

wfnitsup wrote:
Therefore the menu Item need only appear once the user has logged in. For me this was not clear in the first instance.
I don't personally agree; I wanted the menu item visible publicly -->login-->redirect to form.

This is what the amended file on Github achieves.

wfnitsup wrote:
To create a request is good but the user needs to be informed how this works and what they can do and how they can do it without keeping it a secret as the case seems to be.
I would have thought that this would be in a site's privacy policy/notice and a link to it from the form page (see above on adding text) would be a good idea.

wfnitsup wrote:
we must remember not everyone is a IT engineer.
Agreed, but if you're running a site then a small amendment to one file shouldn't be beyond most people. Hopefully this one small amendment will be reflected in a future core update for those who don't want to amend/edit a core file (I can understand why!).

wfnitsup wrote:
Look foreward to any constructive responses.
Hopefully you'll see this as such ;)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

wfnitsup
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wfnitsup » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Thank you for your swift reply.

I must admit that I am not a code expert and try to keep my fingers out of the gearbox.

Ajusting "some" css, ini and php" files is places that are easier to understand what happens. Like the footer area of a template, or the colours, and even text to fit the local requirement.(Germany).

But I don't try too much and do this offline in a local and safe environment (XAMPP).

This is why I miss getting more information about how to do things when I update or add a component. I have to do a lot of trial and error to find out how someting ticks.

I know that documentation is available but this dosen't always have the information I require to go forward, as though it has been written for experts only.

The Privacy Policy for Germany does not explain how to use an online form. I would have expected this to be part of the Privacy component, or at least have a way in which the Administrator can easily add one and not have to delve into code that they don't understand. As in my case.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”