Linking User Accounts Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
G0HXT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Linking User Accounts

Post by G0HXT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi everyone

Been searching for ages but nothing found.

Has anyone ever put a custom field of the type "User" in the users profiles that would allow that user to lookup others and link their account. I have tried this but the field does not show unless as an admin on the back-end. Sounds like an odd request but....

I have a site where we have parents and their children who each have their own accounts. I would like each profile to state which other accounts they are linked to. In our scenario the parents often have different surnames of their young people so its a nightmare working out who belongs to who. By having a user lookup we could link using the users ID which would help in reporting etc.

I was trying to avoid a simple text field as the users will not type the other users name correctly e.g a child called Oliver would probably be typed as Ollie by the parent. Who knows what the child might type and we could have multiple entries saying Mum or Dad!

Any help on this would be much appreciated, I was hoping to avoid installing a social component which I believe would handle this.

Andy

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Linking User Accounts

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:31 pm

When you create a custom field, under permission tab, set related action for other groups and check if it works or not, also it might be necessary to employ layout override
Kian William

G0HXT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by G0HXT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks Kian. My problem is that the type "User" customer field does not show in the profile when viewed from the front end. Create a text or list and it shows OK. It must be permissions but I can't find where that might be.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am

Permission tab is the last tab when you create a new custom field, click on it and you will see different groups on the left and action lists on the right, I remind also you might be needing to employ override layout
Kian William

G0HXT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by G0HXT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks Kian, I think your right and I will need an override as permissions don't give me what I need.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”