Appearance of unknown language packs...

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Jaydot
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Appearance of unknown language packs...

Post by Jaydot » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 am

Hi,

I found out that several of the sites I manage have two additional language packs installed. See attachment.
I certainly didn't install them...
Of my 15 sites, I checked 5 up to now. Four of them have these packs, one hasn't. Will check the rest as soon as I have time (hopefully tomorrow).
They are all up-to-date sites (nearly all on 3.9.4), and all are registered with MyJoomla, which is not reporting anything untoward (though to be honest, I lack the knowledge to completely understand everything MyJoomla flags, but everything looks like it usually does).
The sites don't use exotic extensions (akeeba, some regular labs,sometimes fox contact) and the installed extensions are up-to-date
I have no idea when these language packs appeared, because I don't visit Extensions -> Languages regularly.

Is anyone else seeing this? Where did these packs come from?

Thanks,
j.
languages.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Appearance of unknown language packs...

Post by imanickam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 am

Jaydot wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 am
I have no idea when these language packs appeared, because I don't visit Extensions -> Languages regularly.
You can check the timestamp of the files pkg_hy-AM.xml and pkg_ms-MY.xml in the directory administrator\manifests\packages to find out the dates they were installed. If the site has not been restored from a backup, the date should accurately reflect the date these language packs were installed. Based on the IDs (10159 and 10163), it looks like they were installed after the installation of the Dutch language pack and probably several other extensions were installed before these language packs.

Jaydot wrote:
Is anyone else seeing this?
In the sites I manage, I do not find these language packs.

Jaydot wrote:
Where did these packs come from?
Probably the dates of installation could jog your memory and provide a clues.

If you do not use these language pack, you can uninstall these language packs by the following procedure:
(a) Go the screen "Extensions: Manage" (Extensions => Manage -> Manage)
(b) Click on the button "Search Tools" - dropdown filters would appear
(c) In the dropdown "- Select Type -", choose the value "Package" - The installed packages list would appear
(d) Choose the language pack to delete and press the button "Uninstall" - I would suggest uninstalling one language pack at a time.

Note: In the screen "Extensions: Manage" sorting the list by ID could provide more clue about after what extensions these language packs were installed.

Also, the Content Languages would have been created for these two languages mentioned. In the screen "Languages: Content", you could Trash them and subsequently Empty the Trash.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Jaydot
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Jaydot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi Imanickam,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I have now checked all 15 sites. Eight of them have these language packs, one of them has only one of the two packs.

I don't speak these languages, I don't know anybody who speaks these languages. There is no way I could have installed them myself.
More than half of these sites are pretty static, so the only time I touch them is to update Joomla. The sites are running with several different hosting providers and use either (a modified) Protostar or the JA Simpli template.
The extensions they have in common are Akeeba and some Regular Labs - routinely installed the day the sites were made. They also had the Dutch language pack installed the day they were made (between 5 and 1 years ago).

The two unknown language packs were installed on January 25, 2019 on all sites where they are present.

The only thing I was probably doing around that time, was updating to Joomla 3.9.2. Is there a way to check exactly when I did the updates? It is quite possible that eight sites were done on the same day, and the rest a day earlier or later.

I don't think this is doing any harm, but I really would like to understand what's going on!
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.

frostmakk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by frostmakk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Jaydot wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 pm
Is there a way to check exactly when I did the updates?
Should be logged in joomla_update.php in /logs folder.

Jaydot
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Jaydot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 pm

frostmakk wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm
Should be logged in joomla_update.php in /logs folder.
Thanks, but that only shows the last update - I'm looking for the update from 3.9.1 to 3.9.2...

frostmakk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by frostmakk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes. I see it in my up-to-date sites too. Only last update.
They must have changed something recently, because a couple of my abandoned test projects on J3.8 has the complete update log from day one in them.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”