Best way to use links to content within category Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
eyore15
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Best way to use links to content within category

Post by eyore15 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm afraid I've beaten my brain into submission. I've read so many different articles/knowledgebase/help sites in addition to Google search results I'm completely and totally lost. I am attempting to create a site that will provide access to written material in six different categories. Each category will be listed individually in the menu. For example, I create regular content for our parish bulletin [Deacon's Desk]. Each column is a full 8X10 page. I have 22 of them to post.

The plan I sketched out has a main menu item title "Deacon's Desk". Here's where the confusion comes in. I'd planned on creating a "Deacon's Desk" page that would have 22 line items - the column's subject matter. I don't want the full text of the column immediately available. I'd like a link to the full text of the column.

One site I consulted stated it would be easy to list the topic and link it to the full column BUT stated the columns themselves would need to be hosted on a different site. It states there isn't a way to have the column kept on the Joomla! site. I had thought I could convert each column to a PDF file and save it, in the same manner, I do an image file. The material I read stated there was no place to save this kind of content within Joomla! that I could link to.

Another site suggested I could use the "read more" function. I experimented with that a bit, but it takes up a lot of real-estate.

I thought perhaps when I created a new article there would be a way under "Images and Links" to achieve what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, those links seem restricted to external links; at least I've not been able to find any sort of documentation that shows the link info to a source file that I'd keep in Joomla!.

I'm sure it's actually going to turn out to be something easy. As it is, I'm digging myself in deeper the more I research. I'm not savy enough to get any further on my own.

I'm trying to construct something like this:

Menu
* Deacon's Desk >> link to separate page #1
* Other content

Separate page #1
* Deacon's Desk - Celebrating Lent [Celebrating Lent is a hyperlink to the full column.
* Deacon's Desk - Keeping the Sabbath Holy [Keeping the Sabbath Holy" is a hyperlink to the full column.

1] Is this even possible?
2] How could I create a hyperlink in the article title? I tried to enter HTML code in the Title box for a new article but it didn't work [better than fair chance I did it wrong though]
3] Where in the Joomla! structure do I have the actual column?

tnx

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Best way to use links to content within category

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Have you tried a Category List Menu Item type?

eyore15
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Best way to use links to content within category

Post by eyore15 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Have you tried a Category List Menu Item type?
Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. As I suspected, it was staring me in the face the whole time.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”