Moving Joomla 3 to a new server : Step by step guide

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
webmigration
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Moving Joomla 3 to a new server : Step by step guide

Post by webmigration » Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 am

Hello Community.

I've started up a new website and could do with some feedback from some Joomla users.

The website is a migration guide site full of guides on migrating the most popular CMS/E-commerce systems etc. Since Joomla is a popular CMS I've added it in to the site.

The guide website is websitemigrationguides.com and a direct link to the migration guide is :
https://websitemigrationguides.com/guid ... rate=1#top

I've tried to write the guide so anyone (no matter the tech level or host being used) can use it to move from a poor host to a new (hopefully better) host.

There are no ads or promotion etc on the site.

I'd appreciate it if any joomla admins etc could take a look and see if I've missed anything.

p.s. I know it's a long guide but I wanted it so anyone could follow it (so no one is every stuck with a poor host again!)

Thank you in advance :D

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Moving Joomla 3 to a new server : Step by step guide

Post by gws » Thu May 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Have you ever heard of Akeeba? It automates moving a joomla site correctly.

webmigration
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webmigration » Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi @gws,

Yes, however my aim is to make it so the guide can be followed by anyone. As good as akeeba is, if the host has poor MySQL speeds (overloaded servers) or the server has very low execution time limits (hard set) then akeeba may not be an option. With the above guide as long as the host has mysql and FTP access (which is virtually all hosts) migration should still be possible.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Thu May 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Joomla documentation has info on "moving a joomla site....." - https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website and would seem to contain much the information as mentioned in your link https://websitemigrationguides.com/guid ... rate=1#top.

I would say that if the host truly has such strict limits on their servers, then any client using such a host is going to have a bad time running a joomla (or any other) website that uses MySQL and/or PHP. Akeeba is the least of your concern when it comes to execution time or MySql limits. Just saying...

Additionally, Akeeba developers are professionals, know their craft and would have tweaked Akeeba to run as efficiently as possible on any server environment.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu May 23, 2019 11:01 pm

@webmigration: I cannot see anything basically wrong with your step-by-step guide. It seems to tick all the right boxes. I fully agree with @AMurray's assessment that, if there are limitations on the webhost that would mitigate against using Akeeba Kickstart to restore a website that had been previously backed up with Akeeba Backup then there would be doubts about the viability of restoring a website on the new hosting platform.

Therefore, if (as you say) "... the host has poor MySQL speeds (overloaded servers) or the server has very low execution time limits (hard set) ...", then the entire webhosting service, itself, should be considered untrustworthy irrespective of whatever method(s) may be used to transfer a website to it.

It is the centrepiece of good website management that people should carefully consider their web hosting requirements and partner with a webhosting provider who will deliver the services that they require. In other words, if someone chooses a second-rate webhosting provider then they can expect second-rate website performance. Our forum is full of horror stories from website owners who have not done their market research, who've chosen a second-rate webhosting provider, and then sought our opinion about what to do next. Needless to say, we can only offer our opinion.

The guide provided at the link in the original post is OK; yes, it pretty much follows the information published on the Joomla documentation site.

Good to see a positive contribution to the project. Thanks. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

webmigration
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webmigration » Fri May 24, 2019 8:58 am

Hi AMurray, sozzled,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree regarding akeeba etc but I've seen myself (back when I used to work in hosting) customers who struggled to leave their current host as some php setting or server setting was stopping akeeba from working (e.g. max filesize limit or memory limit). I myself had issues moving some clients from some of the big names in the hosting industry and FTP/MySQL downloads/exports was my go to 'if the easy way fails' method.

If we are being honest, a good host would likely move the site for you anyway but its always nice to have a backup plan!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”