Accessing old Joomla site

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
inanaz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Accessing old Joomla site

Post by inanaz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:24 am

I had a site in Joomla, built a new one in another CMS and had the URL point to the new site. The old one still exists but now I cannot access it to delete it. Any tips on how to access an old site?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Accessing old Joomla site

Post by AMurray » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

Changing the domain DNS to point to another site shouldn't prohibit deleting the old one. You should (I assume) still have access to it e.g. login via cPanel, and delete the files in the file manager (or FTP) and delete the database in cPanel (or whatever the Host uses).

Usually you could get the Host to close your hosting account, effectively removing everything. I assume then the new site is on a separate hosting account.

Since this is not really a Joomla question, so I would ask the host of the old site, how to delete it.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

joomwork
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Accessing old Joomla site

Post by joomwork » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 pm

If you quickly want to check without disturbing the current site, just change host name in your local hosts file. Point it to old site. Are you checking from a Windows PC?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”