"Security token did not match." Frontend login error.

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Volgard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

"Security token did not match." Frontend login error.

Post by Volgard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi All,

I am unable to login from the frontend. All users are affected including Admin and SuperUser.

I am on the latest Joomla 3.9.11, PHP 7.2 All modules, plugins and extensions are up to date.
The tmp physical path (the $tmp_path variable in the configuration.php file) is correct and writable by the web server.
The log physical path (the $log_path variable in the configuration.php file)is correct and writable by the web server.
The cookie domain (the $cookie_domain variable in the configuration.php file) is empty.
The plg_user_joomla plugin is enabled. The plg_authentication_joomla plugin is enabled.
The session handler (the $session_handler variable in the configuration.php file) is set to database, but I have also tested setting it to none.
All types of cache are disabled (including System - Page Cache plugin).

When attempting to log in, the page with login form refreshes, user does not log in. Forgot your username / Forgot your password buttons also do not work.

The error message I am getting says "Warning: The security token did not match. The request was aborted to prevent any security breach. Please try again."

What is very weird the problem does not affect all templates - e.g. if I set the page to standard protostar template to test login form - it works fine.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Last edited by toivo on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Security

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: "Security token did not match." Frontend login error.

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 pm

What template is it that cause the issue and is it up to date? Previous reports of similar issues seem to be caused by page or system cache. Are you using either?
Scratch the last question. Reading skills improving!
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly…Thomas Paine

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Fairly common issue (although I have not experienced this in a few years). Most often happens when pressing the back button or [with keybounce] trying to login "twice" before the first session has been established. Probably best to purge the current sessions. Examine for the use of very large session times and reduce as necessary. The standard J! session length is 15 minutes.

It would help to see the Forum Post Assistant report if you want a more in-depth analysis.

Note: "forgot your username/password" does not apply to superuser/administrator accounts. See viewtopic.php?f=708&t=974295 for more information

Suggest, because PHP 7 is involved, use $session_handler = "none"; this is more efficient.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Volgard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Volgard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi Abernyte, thanks for advice.
The system cache is OFF (caching disabled). Same with page cache. All cache has been cleared.
The template is Paradigm from RocketTheme - latest version of the template (1.9) and of the Gantry Framework 4.1.41. I have checked with RocketTheme support, but they cannot find a solution at this moment (though they have tried hard).
Any ideas?

Volgard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Volgard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi sozzled,
Session length is set to 15.
I have tried with both $session_handler = "none" & $session_handler = "database"
I have also purged all the sessions... Still it does not work.
I will prepare a FPA report and post it shortly.
Thanks.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”