Make a link for registered users only

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
hasapisa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Make a link for registered users only

Post by hasapisa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello,

I am creating a new article and I want to article visible to the public, yet I want the link to media to be locked when they click it. In another way, I want to public to see the description of the link and the link itself but if clicked, force a login since it is member's only content. Is this possible?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Make a link for registered users only

Post by leolam » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 pm

You are aware that we have this extensive Joomla Extension Directory? Start reviewing https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/content-restriction/

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

bobgann
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bobgann » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Your description is a bit brief so I'm not 100% sure I'm telling you the right approach.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say the "link to the media". So - I'm assuming you have an article with a link to some media in it.
Given that. This is one method. (using JCE as an editor).
Step 1.
1) Create a menu item that is a link to the media.
2) Set permission for that menu item to 'registered'. This means it will not appear nor work for non-registered people
Step 2.
1) In your article, select the text that you want to be the link
2) Click on the Add Link icon
3) Chose the menu you created in step 1 as you target.

If the user clicks on the link in the article, they will get a permission denied type of response. Not very pretty, but functional.
---------------
May I recommend all posters review forum rules.

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 pm

There's probably a way to do this with modules set to registered and above. If you want people to log in to see this media then set the media extension or the menu item to registered and above. I have a link to a user profile visible to everyone, but the custom module i made for it is set to registered, so they can click it but no one can see the profiles unless they log in.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am

You can do this with Conditional Content (Regular Labs). It will show or hide (as the case may be) depending on the status of the user - logged in, or not.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... l-content/

The conditional content in this case, will be the hyperlink visible only to those that are logged in.

Leo's suggestion is perfectly valid. You can find most of what you need on the Extensions directory.

If the hidden content is not necessarily just a link, it could be for instance a media player (to play audio/video), and you can put a module (or plugin) in the article and use the Conditional Content plugin to hide or show those elements to (not limited to text or links in an article) in conjunction with (another of Regular Labs extensions) Modules Anywhere. (just search the extension directory, it's there).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”