Remove link from Separator or Menu Heading type

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jjspelman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Remove link from Separator or Menu Heading type

Post by jjspelman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:24 pm

I woulds like to remove the link form either or both the "Menu Heading" and "Separator" Menu Item Types. I this possible?

The problem is that if they remain an active "a" link, the user is taken to the top of a page. This can be very confusing to a user.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Remove link from Separator or Menu Heading type

Post by toivo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:01 am

Your issue is with the presentation of fields in the menu entry form in the back end, isn't it?

Even if the Link field is included in the form Menus: New Item, the back end user cannot enter a link, at least not in Joomla 3.9.11, and the resulting menu entries do not have any "a" links at the front end either.

jjspelman wrote:The problem is that if they remain an active "a" link, the user is taken to the top of a page.
Please provide an example or a URL to a website where this is the case.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

jjspelman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jjspelman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:32 am

Thanks for your reply Toivo. If you look at https://j2studio.com/lbm3816, in the middle of the page there are drop down menus for each product category. These are all aliases of the main menu. They also include Manu Headers or Separators which are generated with an <a href> tag - so if a user clicks on one, they are brought to the top of the page.

I was curious as to whether or not the link could be removed from these items so the user isn't taken to the top.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:35 am

You may be able to set up an anchor tag on the page exactly where you want the link in the title to take the visitor and then adjust the link in the menu entry accordingly.

If you want the menu heading to act as a title only, with no link attribute, then you should look at the menu item type of the menu entry and select 'Menu Heading', because that menu item type does not require a link.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

jjspelman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jjspelman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

But you see, that is the issue. In the main nav at the top, Medical Microscopes is a Menu Item, then under it ENT Products is a Menu Heading - yet it has an href applied to it. So naturally the alias in the drop down that I am speaking of will also have an href because it is an alias. That is my dilemma. Even though I am selecting Menu heading or Menu Separtor as menu type, they still have an href applied to them.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”