Adding a support user Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
robbedoes16
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Adding a support user

Post by robbedoes16 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 am

HI,

When i have a problem with an extension or setting the support person ask me to give him the inlog user and password for the website. I know i can create additional users under the menu but how can i limit their permissions. Mostly they need to adjust something in the code of some files.
So i want to secure the content pages, image directories and the limitations to add/delete new users or even change other users password.
Basically i just want to grant them access to change some code.

noncomposmentis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Adding a support user

Post by noncomposmentis » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 am

Call me a noob, but how can someone in support change codes from Joomla Admin? Changing codes need to be from file manager (imho). Another option is: let them change the code of the module, plugin or component (extension) before uploading and installing. That is in its zip file.

Besides, I wouldn't want someone else (I mean really someone else) to know my login credentials to my website. I know you do too.

Create a new user, then limit their access.
Control Panel>User>Manage>Add New User

Then set their Access Level to either Manager or Administrator, depending on the permission that you give to such User Groups.

Aris Ntatsis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Aris Ntatsis » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 am

robbedoes16 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 am
HI,

When i have a problem with an extension or setting the support person ask me to give him the inlog user and password for the website. I know i can create additional users under the menu but how can i limit their permissions. Mostly they need to adjust something in the code of some files.
So i want to secure the content pages, image directories and the limitations to add/delete new users or even change other users password.
Basically i just want to grant them access to change some code.
First of all, you need to have confidence in those who ask for support. Otherwise, don't give them any access to administrator.
FYI, Joomla itself, but also additional extensions (do a search on JED) do capture users' actions, and you will be able to know what somebody logged in to the admin area did.
Joomla Volunteer & Certified Joomla Administrator: https://volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/ ... is-ntatsis
Υποστήριξη και Υπηρεσίες Joomla από το https://www.onscreen.gr

robbedoes16
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robbedoes16 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:03 am

Thank you so much the both of you.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”