After Drive Reformat I've lost access to my localhost site dev Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
pondball
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

After Drive Reformat I've lost access to my localhost site dev

Post by pondball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi - long story short –
I made the mistake of updating to Big Sur and after an AppleID issue I had to reformat my HD.
I have now had to manually install all my apps.
Have installed MAMP Pro and have no idea how to get access to my dev site again.
• Placing the files in the folders where they originally were does not work (that would have been too simple)
• Creating a new host and pointing a root of User->Me>Sites>newSite also does not work

I made regular backups of my site and have a reasonably current .jpa file.

Am I erring in that I am trying to drop the files into their original locations?
Should I use MAMP Pro together with the .jpa file and Akeeba Kickstart places in the Sites->newSite folder, extract and .jpa file and what then? hope for the best?

Do I have to change the port numbers?
Appreciate any advice you may have related to the tools I am using.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: After Drive Reformat I've lost access to my localhost site dev

Post by AMurray » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Installing a MacOS update causes the need to reformat....even Windows updates aren't that bad ;).

Your site content is contained in the database, so yes, restore the site with Akeeba Kickstart. All you need is that JPA file and the one file, kickstart.php

Akeeba's site has all the info you need on using their products.

Regarding HTTP Port numbers, I'd use the default (port 80), unless you have some other program that uses it. I would have said something like Skype (if you can get that for the Mac) uses the same default port number and it would conflict with the MAMP webserver. You should be able to change one or the other.

Since it is relevant to the question here's the link for changing Port 80 in MAMP Pro.
https://documentation-4.mamp.info/en/MA ... ngs/Ports/
Last edited by AMurray on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

pondball
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pondball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Your site content is contained in the database, so yes, restore the site with Akeeba Kickstart. All you need is that JPA file and the one file, kickstart.php

Akeeba's site has all the info you need on using their products.

Regarding HTTP Port numbers, I'd use the default, unless you have some other program that uses it. I would have said something like Skype (if you can get that for the Mac) uses the same default port number and it would conflict with the MAMP webserver. You should be able to change one or the other.
Wow... thanks for the quick reply.
• So can I just extract the .jpa file into the path newSite folder of User->Me>Sites>newSite?
• I don't have to set up a new host or anything?
• Or do I first need to set up a new host in MAMP Pro - ie... newSite within the Sites folder?, then place the jpa and Kickstart.php into that folder?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:29 pm

I don't know MAMP Pro - but I assume it works like any other - I'm a Windows user and use WAMPServer so assume things are pretty much the same.

You don't have to extract anything - kickstart.php does all the hard work.

Place the backup archive (JPA file) and kickstart.php in the folder you want to restore the site to. The it is best to use a sub-folder within the MAMP Pro's "htdocs" or "www" or "public_html" (or whatever variation) and (named for the site's name e.g. "Joe Bloggs website"). so the JPA and kickstart would go in, for example, /www/Joe Bloggs website folder.

I'm not sure if you have to create the database first (it may be that you only need a MySQL user with "create" privileges, and so when you specify the db name, it will create it then populate it with your site's data), and set it up with a user (assume you will use MySQL) but you can use a fresh database. Then in the kickstart restore program it will prompt you for the database details (just like a new Joomla install would).
Regards - A Murray

pondball
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pondball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:49 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Place the backup archive (JPA file) and kickstart.php in the folder you want to restore the site to. The it is best to use a sub-folder within the MAMP Pro's "htdocs" or "www" or "public_html" (or whatever variation) and (named for the site's name e.g. "Joe Bloggs website"). so the JPA and kickstart would go in, for example, /www/Joe Bloggs website folder.
Will try that... first attempt was directly into the Sites folder that I believe was set up by Mac Big Sur
I'm not sure if you have to create the database first (it may be that you only need a MySQL user with "create" privileges, and so when you specify the db name, it will create it then populate it with your site's data), and set it up with a user (assume you will use MySQL) but you can use a fresh database. Then in the kickstart restore program it will prompt you for the database details (just like a new Joomla install would).
I just got a "Could not connect to MySQL" message on the restoration... and I know I've had this in a previous life (5 years ago was the last time I remember that happening, and of course did not write down the solution. Sounds like I somehow have to set up a user first in PHPAdmin?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Yes; to be safe I'd create the database, the user and then assign that user to the db with full permissions.
Regards - A Murray

pondball
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pondball » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:14 pm
Yes; to be safe I'd create the database, the user and then assign that user to the db with full permissions.
:D :D :D
Many Thanks AMurray!
I have my site back!!!
• recreated a new host
• populated the host folder with my .jpa and Kickstart.php
• used the root admin with intent to change later to more secure user
• ran kickstart.php and went through the process of of restoration but at the one screen I changed the SuperUser to a new identity with a new PW
• relaxed a thousand kms when both the front end and back end of the site appeared as they should be
Again - many thanks for helping me out here.
Good on ya, mate!
If they still have Tooeys Dark down under, please quaff one for me!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”