Assigning New Template Style

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
TimReeks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Assigning New Template Style

Post by TimReeks » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm

I am trying to restore to operation an existing site, which I am told needs to have a new default template assigned.

If I have assigned a new template Beez3, do I have to 'delete' the previous template 'siteground-j25_163 and will this cause the site to start appearing / displaying current content OR do I have to recreate the content?

Thanks in anticipation
Last edited by imanickam on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to Templates for Joomla! 3.x and modified the Subject to reflect the problem.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Template

Post by imanickam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

If you assign a new template style (i.e., Default template style) for your site, the content would show up. There is no need to recreate the content.

Also, there is no need to uninstall (NOT Delete) the old template that is not being used. However, if you are not planning to use it, uninstalling the unused template could be an option.

However, care must be taken with respect to the modules as the module position names may not be the same between two different templates. Even if the position names are same the physical location of them may not be the same.

Make sure to take a back of the site (both files and database content) before you do anything.

It would be a better idea to create a working copy of the site and experimenting with the test site.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

TimReeks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimReeks » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks, I have taken up the opportunity to 'launch' a free Joomla site to get upto speed.

TimReeks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimReeks » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm

I have a free site - php 8.0.10, Joomla 3.10.2, database 5.7.33 and a site which I am newly looking after - php 7.4.23, Joomla 3.10.2, database 5.7.32.35.

I created an article on my free site, with 6 tables, 1 has 3 columns, 1 has 5 columns and 4 4 columns. Each table has a separate id and specific css formatting in a user.css file, in the Protostar css folder. I created the same on the site I am looking after, however only 1 table had some of the formatting. Would the difference in php version be a reason?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Use Wamp virtual Host on your PC, there are no restrictions then (at least none that can't be altered).
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Being that old, the template may crash template manager. Uninstall it.

Tables are not responsive. Use div with Bootstrap classes for the grid.

https://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffold ... gridSystem

TimReeks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Assigning New Template Style

Post by TimReeks » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:31 am

Hi all

Thanks for your help. It seems to have sorted itself out. Think I am expecting an immediate response to my updates.

Yes, Protostar may be old, but it works for my purposes, though will look for another free alternative template.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”