Error 500 - High CPU usage

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Error 500 - High CPU usage

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:07 am

Just updated my Joomla and i got this at the end:

Warning

JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Duplicate key name 'client_id_guest'

Files Update: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1061
Duplicate key name 'client_id_guest'
SQL = ALTER TABLE `#__session` ADD INDEX `client_id_guest` (`client_id`, `guest`);

Any ideas on how i can fix this just in case it messes up things?
Thank you.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 am

Looks like things are pretty messed up all around. Someone else may have better insight into your new problem but one thing is certain: this is no longer a "performance" issue. Please open a new topic and provide details of what you've got (including the FPA report), how you got there, etc. Someone may be able to help you.

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 am
Looks like things are pretty messed up all around. Someone else may have better insight into your new problem but one thing is certain: this is no longer a "performance" issue. Please open a new topic and provide details of what you've got (including the FPA report), how you got there, etc. Someone may be able to help you.
Fixed that error, seems many have had it.
Last question, is there a plugin that shows in realtime CPU usage? Can't see that in Cpanel :( (i want to start disabling plugins to see which is the reason for this but without live CPU usage that will take forever).
Also plugins which are disabled are 100% safe to remove? Or is there any chance one is somehow being used?
Thank you.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm

I am pleased that you fixed the database error. 8)

CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Last question, is there a plugin that shows in realtime CPU usage?
Short answer: none that I'm aware of; certainly not within J!. If you need to discuss capacity planning issues then you should talk with your webhosting provider. Your hosting service may or may not have an understanding of what's happening. I mentioned—as an anecdote—discussions that I've had with my webhosting provider when they've reported "performance" issues to me but the forum moderators deemed my story was unhelpful and removed it.

J! is somewhat agnostic about the environment on which it is installed; it means that J! doesn't know (or care about) how much CPU "capacity" the server has. Even PHP (which J! uses to connect to files and database tables) can't obtain server capacity information in real-time (such as the number of faulting, swapping, or other factors that may contribute to CPU usage; such information is several layers abstracted from the hardware. For more information, see https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/co ... tion-layer.

You can look at the "breadcrumbs"—what quotas you have defined as limitations you've (or your hosting provider) has imposed. You can take educated guesses as to where you're hitting those limitations.

HTTP 500 Internal Service Errors may contribute to equipment usage: these errors may cause elevated CPU usage, among other things. If you believe you have eliminated all HTTP 500 Internal Service Errors then you can have more confidence that your website is behaving more "normally" than without them.

CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Also plugins which are disabled are 100% safe to remove?
It's impossible for anyone to answer that question. I don't know which plugins you have disabled and which ones you have not disabled. Furthermore, if we are using J! terminology, plugins are only one kind of extension. There may be other extensions that you have installed that may be causes for investigation/concern/analysis or candidates for disabling and/or uninstalling.

So, in terms of the way you have asked your question, I can't give you a simple answer. There are some "plugins" that you can disable but are protected against being uninstalled.

CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Is there any chance [that a disabled plugin] is somehow being used?
Generally-speaking, no: there's little chance that a disabled plugin will "somehow" be used. However, you may continue to experience symptoms (after disabling a plugin) that give the appearance of a plugin "still being used" even though it isn't.

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Quick question, i removed Kunena entirely from the website (to conserve both space and resources) but in my database (pHpMyAdmin) i see Kunena tables. Do i remove them? Will removing them break anything? Thank you.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 pm

If you uninstalled Kunena already, you can drop those tables using phpMyAdmin or a similar database utility without any issues.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:14 pm

I agree with @toivo. The Kunena uninstall procedure removes the files but leaves the database intact (but there's an option to DROP the Kunena tables if one wants to do that). Alternatively, you can use phpMyAdmin to select all _kunena_* tables and DROP them.

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:05 am

toivo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 pm
If you uninstalled Kunena already, you can drop those tables using phpMyAdmin or a similar database utility without any issues.
Drop or Delete? Or are these the same?
Also there's a registered name database, those are the users that were using just the forums or the ones registered on the website entirely?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:18 am

Database tables are deleted using the Drop option. For example MySQL Workbench calls it Drop Table.

Kunena may have its own user table. Joomla keeps its registered users in the table _users, prefixed by a unique string like g176o
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:05 am
Also there's a registered name database, those are the users that were using just the forums or the ones registered on the website entirely?
Kunena uses Joomla to login, logout, access the forum, etc. Kunena does maintain "user-related" tables, yes. Those tables mirror the Joomla user tables but contain extra information not contained in the Joomla user tables. The extra information includes things like "is this user a forum moderator?", "how many messages has this user posted on the forum?", "what is the user's forum 'rank'?", etc.

@toivo has explained that database tables are deleted using the SQL DROP TABLE statement.

I do not understand how this has anything to do with "Error 500 - High CPU usage".

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 am

sozzled wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am
CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:05 am
Kunena uses Joomla to login, logout, access the forum, etc. Kunena does maintain "user-related" tables, yes. Those tables mirror the Joomla user tables but contain extra information not contained in the Joomla user tables. The extra information includes things like "is this user a forum moderator?", "how many messages has this user posted on the forum?", "what is the user's forum 'rank'?", etc.

@toivo has explained that database tables are deleted using the SQL DROP TABLE statement.

I do not understand how this has anything to do with "Error 500 - High CPU usage".
Well Hostgator claims that this may be due to either an attack on the site, an plugin that eats resources or the number of files (they have 100k max and i am at 122k - never had a problem with this but they might have changed that recently to try and force people to move to a dedicated server).
So basically i am removing files left and right to see if this improves things. As for the other two i don't know if someone is somehow attacking the site, i did remove and disable almost all plugins, nothing changed.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”