High amount of requests

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

High amount of requests

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:04 am

I'm getting a high amount of requests from Joomla when viewing my ip analytics on Bluehost, i only edit a few k2 articles with sh404sef only simple Jpegs no videos and a few menu modules is my maximum and yet my analytics is reporting hundreds of thousands of requests, 20 thousand requests just editing a single article. Is there any Joomla way of diagnosing whats causing the massive request count. I'm also trying to use cloudflare free version for ddos protection and cache protection but i'm getting the same issue and cloudflare is freezing my ip because of the large amount of requests when using my administration. I don't know how to find whats causing the high request amount, if i went to K2 forum they'd just blame other programs and not give any real solutions.
I wont be able to upgrade my Joomla without reverting away from cloudflare which i don't really want to do. I'll need to investigate this problem before upgrading joomla using cloudflare.
high-cpu2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: High amount of requests

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:13 am

I started my Joomla site on Bluehost on April of this year and looking back on my analytics on bluehost, the high amount of requests has been doing this since the first month of using Joomla, so it seems to be an "old" issue

April screenshot of my high request count using admin section

high-cpu3-April.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am

There are several analytics tools that you can use to drill down into the raw logs: your webhosting provider may have tools like AWStats, perhaps, that my webhosting provider includes with the cPanel. You could also use Google Analytics or, if you don't like Google, Bing Analytics that will give you some idea of which pages are being hit and information about the sources.

There are dozens of other analytic tools that might help. Search for the keyword "site analytics" using your favourite search engine. ;)

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am
There are several analytics tools that you can use to drill down into the raw logs: your webhosting provider may have tools like AWStats, perhaps, that my webhosting provider includes with the cPanel. You could also use Google Analytics or, if you don't like Google, Bing Analytics that will give you some idea of which pages are being hit and information about the sources.

There are dozens of other analytic tools that might help. Search for the keyword "site analytics" using your favourite search engine. ;)
Its happening from within my administration section of Joomla, its not happening on my front end, its my ip address on the admin section of Joomla that's causing it, there's zero frontend services like google etc that'll help me find the cause when its a backend issue

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:25 am

Yes, you're right that frontend services won't help you and, sorry, I can't help you with what's happening between you and the backend of your website. It may be something you may want to discuss with your webhosting provider; consider the possibility that your website may have been compromised somehow. I haven't had these experiences when I edit articles on my several websites, sorry.

I was replying in response the somewhat vague, generalised "high number of requests" subject and because the topic was placed in the "General Questions" forum as opposed to, say, the "Administration" forum.

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:30 am

It seems to have been happening since i started my Joomla website, i've only recently started noticing due to cloudflare banning my ip address, i use light 80kb jpegs on my website, and my jpeg are reporting backend spikes of 5gb of 90.000+ hits
high-cpu4-Aug.jpg

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:40 am

I think it might be my article editor WYSIWYG editor, when i go to find/load an image from my image folder when writing a k2 article its loading 900 images when i use the add image function, if this is true its a massive optimization issue.
I'll do some tests with it over the next few weeks before i move to joomla 4, if this seems to be the case then its a massive optimization error, if every time i use the Joomla editor to add an image and it buffers 900 images within that folder then i'll see in a few weeks. I'm not going to use the add image function over the next few weeks and i'll compare my awstats. If thats the case there will be no denying this optimization flaw within Joomla, as a recent new Joomla user and if i'm the only person reporting it then it'll be all the more striking of a flaw in Joomla.

I'll report back in a few weeks.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:54 am

Thanks for your update. From my perspective, there are people who swear by K2 and people who swear at it. :laugh: K2 was a good initiative (back in the day, before J! introduced article tags in J! 3.1) and there are a few add-ons (like Disqus if my memory serves me right) that could be useful to some people. However, and I don't want to sound mean or critical of the people who developed K2, I think it may have had its day. I played with K2 about 10 years ago and I felt it was [kind of] unnecessary or taking article management in a different direction to the way that the J! CMS was being developed. That's just my opinion, for what little it's worth. I just don't know enough about K2 to be able to make any meaningful comment about the impact it may have in the way that you've described it.

Furthermore, sh404SEF has, in my poor opinion, seen better days, too. I don't know anyone who's still using it.

We might have to leave these things to the K2 fan club to discuss. 8)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 am

Have you put all images in the same folder?

Put images in sub-folders, so media manager don't open all of them to show the thumbnails.

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:45 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 am
Have you put all images in the same folder?

Put images in sub-folders, so media manager don't open all of them to show the thumbnails.
I have approx 900 images on the same folder, its a hunch when i insert an image it buffers my entire collection when i'm trying to pick an individual image, only a hunch so far i'll need to do some tests over the next 13 days.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:33 am

Sounds like we may be onto something! :pop Yeah, I have lots of images (I wouldn't have as many as 900) but I have them separated into sub-folders; usually that means I create a sub-folder for each article and deposit the images I will use for those articles in those folders. It also helps me to remember where I've put things; if, for instance, I decide to unpublish or trash articles, I can easily delete the images that I used with them by deleting the folders of images. I think @Per is right: if the article editor has to open the /images folders (and there are hundreds or thousands of images), J! has to work overtime creating thumbnails.

Thanks for the tip, @Per: something people might want to keep in mind. ;)

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 am

I thought it would have been okay putting most of my thumbnails into one folder, i host an image gallery and i put all my 80kb images into one folder so i can search/fetch them easier in my editor, i never figured it would load every single image on my server everytime i insert an 80kb image when writing an article

L00ncan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by L00ncan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:30 am

How am i supposed to build a large gallery of my images for k2 because i want to write hundreds of thousands of articles and 900 images is nothing compared to what i have planned for the future of my website, soon i hope to be at 90.000 images for my articles i write up in a few years. i have my article research text then accommodated with images. I'm going to need to make a new folder for every 50 images will look like a total maze mess.
The images i'm using aren't spam images, they're related to the articles i'm writing with thought process behind each article, i'm going to need a new directory folder for every article!!! each article can be 50 images surrounded with walls of text i write up. A new directory for every article sounds really messy.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm

"A new directory for every article sounds really messy." no, it's good housekeeping.

I think a directory for every article is a little to keen, but if you are writing many articles you could make it a directory per day, or week.

Either way, for your admin experience to be smooth and efficient, you need to minimise the size of every image directory Joomla uses. I have clients that sell automotive spare parts, they learnt very quickly to have an efficient directory tree for their images!

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:33 pm

On one of my websites, I have a folder for each month's worth of images used in articles. The point of the exercise is, as we noted above, to reduce the amount of thumbnail processing when you're adding images to articles. If all the images for all the articles are lumped into one folder then, when choosing which images you may want to insert into new articles, if you've got thousands of images this may involved a lot of thumbnail generation overhead.

From that perspective, I agree with @brendanhedges: cut down the number of images in each image folder and you'll probably reduce the "high number of requests". ;)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”