Blank Web page and Joomla Admin Errors or notices

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sr715039
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Blank Web page and Joomla Admin Errors or notices

Post by sr715039 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:13 pm

Hi All,

I have a couple of issues with Joomla and Webpage:

1) Logging into Joomla as an administrator shows the following notice and error:
Notice: Array to string conversion in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/administrator/modules/mod_menu/menu.php on line 413
and
Error displaying the error page: Class 'Joomla\CMS\Helper\ModuleHelper' not found: Class 'Joomla\CMS\Session\Session' not found
The only link in my admin that is displaying the page is Global Configuration, however I seem to be missing the top half of the page i.e. where it displays Save button. All other links display as blank.

In addition to this, my web page does not display.

Joomla Version 3.10.11
PHP = 7.2

If I increase the PHP version to 7.4, I receive the following errors when logging into admin (again web page is blank):
Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/driver.php on line 1944

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/driver.php on line 1944

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/driver.php on line 2020

Warning: ini_set(): Headers already sent. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php on line 45

Warning: ini_set(): Headers already sent. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php on line 48

Warning: session_set_cookie_params(): Cannot change session cookie parameters when headers already sent in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php on line 139

Warning: session_set_save_handler(): Cannot change save handler when headers already sent in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/storage.php on line 103

Warning: session_name(): Cannot change session name when headers already sent in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 127

Warning: ini_set(): Headers already sent. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 910

Warning: session_cache_limiter(): Cannot change cache limiter when headers already sent in /home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 233
Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent by "/home3/moorfie1/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/driver.php" at line 1944.
Hope someone can help - Beginner :-)

SR
Last edited by pe7er on Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quoted blocks for better readability

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Blank Web page and Joomla Admin Errors or notices

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:20 pm

Please use the FPA and post the report results to this thread.
https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ (refer Forum Rules top of screen).

Can you enable Debug in your server (php.ini settings) and the joomla configuration.php file (given it appears you can't access the Administrator)

There is possibly some extension(s) or a template that may not be compatible with the PHP version or with Joomla 3.10.11

Joomla 3 itself should work with PHP 7.4 or 8.0.x, 8.1. I'd advise against using PHP earlier than the latest of the 7.4.x series (where even that will be end of life (EOL) in November 2022. Can you try PHP 8.0.x?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sr715039
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sr715039 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Thank you.
I used the FPA and received an error at Step 4 : We cannot reach that site.

I tried to debug by switching display errors to Enabled and set the config file to:
public $debug = false;
public $debug_lang = false;
public $debug_lang_const = true;

It was previously set to:
public $debug = '0';
public $debug_lang = '0';
public $debug_lang_const = '1';

This had no change on the admin site.

If I update PHP to 8.0 the admin site and the domain appears blank.

Hope I have followed the guidance correctly, however there was no resolution, would there be anything else I could try?

sr

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:56 pm

sr715039 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:13 pm
If I increase the PHP version to 7.4, I receive the following errors when logging into admin
No curly braces are used in line 1944 of the file driver.php in Joomla 3.10.11, which version supports not just PHP 7.4 but also PHP 8.0. In fact, this is line 1944 of driver.php in Joomla 3.10.11:

Code: Select all

/**
That means that the website does not have Joomla 3.10.11 but an earlier version, or Joomla update has failed at some stage.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sr715039
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sr715039 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:54 am

Thankyou Toivo, would there be anyway to update the version since I am unable to access Joomla admin . I can only access Global Config options, even that page is limited as i am unable to save unless accessed via the backend

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:21 am

Joomla can only be updated from the back end. We do not know what causes the inconsistency between the presumed version 3.10.11 and the Deprecated messages that trigger the PHP warnings. Therefore it would be best to restore the website using a full backup, meaning both the filesystem and the database, from the time the site was working. Does the site use an extension like Akeeba Backup or does your host make regular backups that you can restore the site with?

sr715039 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:09 pm
Contact the support team of your host and find out why the FPA script fails. The host may have implemented a security application like mod_security with strict rules that block the FPA.

sr715039
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sr715039 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:11 am

Thank you I will check with the host. I use Akeeba Back up , however when the host restored the site and database to a date when the site was working.

Their response was:

I have checked the PHP version and limit and they are set proper. It appears to be an issue with .htaccess file. Here is the link to know more about this error:
viewtopic.php?t=832239

They had also advised review the logs in cPanel> Advanced > File manager > public_html > error_logs file. However, it was unclear what the errors are related to.

I suppose there are numerous errors, however I am unsure where to begin.

Thanks

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:50 am

Your host provided a link to a forum post from 2014 about SEF links, 404 Page Not Found errors and adding redirections to the .htaccess file, which topics do not address the current issues you reported. That advice sounds more like a stab in the dark.

sr715039 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:11 am
I use Akeeba Back up , however when the host restored the site and database to a date when the site was working.
It is not clear what you mean. Did the host restore the website or did they not restore the website?

sr715039 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:11 am
They had also advised review the logs in cPanel> Advanced > File manager > public_html > error_logs file. However, it was unclear what the errors are related to.
Even if the error messages were unclear to the support team of your host, do you have a copy of the file? Please compress the file and attach it to your reply so that our volunteer experts can have a look. If the file is large, copy and paste the messages from the time the errors started appearing.

toivo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:21 am
sr715039 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:09 pm
Contact the support team of your host and find out why the FPA script fails. The host may have implemented a security application like mod_security with strict rules that block the FPA.
Did the support people of your host give you a reason why the FPA script, fpa-en.php, failed to complete? Does the web server use mod_security, which blocks requests that are not sent to index.php?

The FPA results are important because they give our volunteer experts an overview of the website and the configuration of the server. Without the FPA results it would be difficult to give any advice other than recommend that the website is restored from backup made while the site was in a working condition.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”