Problems creating Admin user via myPHPAdmin

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problems creating Admin user via myPHPAdmin

Postby humblehomecook » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 am

Hi everyone
I have asked to have a look at a Jooma 3 website but the owner doesn't know the login details.

Therefore, I am trying to 'Add a New Super Administrator User' via the phpMyAdmin option (as described in the Joomla!Documentation article - https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F).

I can see that the new ID is set up in the database tables OK but when I try and log into the Joomla backend for the website I get the error message "Warning : Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.".

I can access the website files via FTP and via the hosting account cPanel but for some reason cannot get into the Joomla backend.

Does anyone have any experience on what might be causing the Joomla login issue?

For info, there are two databases showing in phpMyAdmin and I have tried adding the SuperUser to both.

Thanks in advance.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Problems creating Admin user via myPHPAdmin

Postby ranwilli » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Check the FILE /configuration.php to see which database your site is using... THAT should help a bit.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core. Extend and Override.
Stay ON the update path.
http://harpervance.com

24x7server
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby 24x7server » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:52 am

Can you please make sure that you are using the correct username that is you have defined while creating the user in the database. You should not use the email address while login to your Joomla backend.

Also, you will need to make sure you are using the correct password while login.

Here is the reference post for you -
viewtopic.php?t=304507

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for the replies,

@ranwilli, I've looked at the 'configuration.php' file and can see which database is being used. I've tried to create the admin user on that one but the login and password are still not accepted (still getting the 'Warning : Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.' message. Can't understand why this is not working as have used this process before, albeit not on a Joomla 3 site.

@24x7server, appreciate the common sense reminder. I am using the exact username and password as set-up using the 'Add a New Super Administrator User' via the phpMyAdmin option (as described in the Joomla!Documentation article - https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F).

Any other ideas??

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 pm

ranwilli wrote:Check the FILE /configuration.php to see which database your site is using... THAT should help a bit.

@ranwilli, I've looked at the 'configuration.php' file and can see which database is being used. I've tried to create the admin user on that one but the login and password are still not accepted (still getting the 'Warning : Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.' message. Can't understand why this is not working as have used this process before, albeit not on a Joomla 3 site.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby ranwilli » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Any chance you didn't change the table prefix to match yours?
Stay ON the update path.

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:22 pm

ranwilli wrote:Any chance you didn't change the table prefix to match yours?

It's a good shout but I'm using the prefix which appeared in the configuration.php file. Once I run the SQL script to add the admin user I've checked the _users table and can see the user details I've added.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby ranwilli » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:30 pm

what about the map table?
Stay ON the update path.

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

ranwilli wrote:what about the map table?

The created admin user ID number shows in the xxxx_user_usergroup_map table and has the associated super user ID value as displayed in the xxxx__usergroups table.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby ranwilli » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Then you have my sympathy in lieu of help.
Stay ON the update path.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 am

Truncate (empty) the session table and see if that resolves

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 am

leolam wrote:Truncate (empty) the session table and see if that resolves

Leo 8)

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that but not making any difference.

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am

Just a thought: if you happen to be copying and pasting the password, make sure that there are no extra characters like spaces at either end of the string (been there, done that...)
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf#zoom=100

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

toivo wrote:Just a thought: if you happen to be copying and pasting the password, make sure that there are no extra characters like spaces at either end of the string (been there, done that...)

Thanks, I'm manually typing in the user ID and password (making sure it matches the values set in the database table).

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

humblehomecook wrote:making sure it matches the values set in the database table
Do you mean one of the three values in clear text, listed at the bottom of the following tutorial, for example 'secret':
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf#zoom=100

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am

toivo wrote:
humblehomecook wrote:making sure it matches the values set in the database table
Do you mean one of the three values in clear text, listed at the bottom of the following tutorial, for example 'secret':
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F

Exactly.

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

That is weird. Make sure you use the correct value for 'username'.

I have just double checked in Joomla 3.7.5 that Super Users can be added using the SQL statement from the tutorial and that the credentials listed at the bottom of the document are accepted all right at the back end.

However, you have to deselect the option 'Not Null' temporarily from the three date fields in the #__users table so that the Default/Expression contains NULL, instead of '0000-00-00 00:00:00', which value may have worked in the earlier versions in the past. Alternatively, add the three fields to the statement and use the current time as their values.

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm

toivo wrote:That is weird. Make sure you use the correct value for 'username'.

I have just double checked in Joomla 3.7.5 that Super Users can be added using the SQL statement from the tutorial and that the credentials listed at the bottom of the document are accepted all right at the back end.

However, you have to deselect the option 'Not Null' temporarily from the three date fields in the #__users table so that the Default/Expression contains NULL, instead of '0000-00-00 00:00:00', which value may have worked in the earlier versions in the past. Alternatively, add the three fields to the statement and use the current time as their values.

Thanks Toivo, can you please expand on the step "deselect the option 'Not Null' temporarily from the three date fields"? I do not have any Null check boxes in phpMyAdmin for the three date fields.

If I go with the current time approach (see my SQL below) this still does not work.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO `xxxxx_users`
   (`name`, `username`, `password`, `params`,`registerDate`,`lastvisitDate`,`lastResetTime`)
VALUES ('Administrator2', 'admin2',
    'd2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199', '',CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,CURRENT_TIMESTAMP);
INSERT INTO `xxxxx_user_usergroup_map` (`user_id`,`group_id`)
VALUES (LAST_INSERT_ID(),'8');

Appreciate your help so far.

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

In phpMyAdmin, select the #__users table and go to the tab Structure. The date columns look like this:
dates-before.jpg

First ran the following SQL statement to modify the settings of the date columns - use your own table prefix:

ALTER TABLE `bfmnq_users` CHANGE `registerDate` `registerDate` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
CHANGE `lastvisitDate` `lastvisitDate` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
CHANGE `lastResetTime` `lastResetTime` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL;

Then copied from the tutorial the following SQL statement and ran it - use your own table prefix:

INSERT INTO `bfmnq_users`
   (`name`, `username`, `password`, `params`)
    'd2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199', '');
INSERT INTO `bfmnq_user_usergroup_map` (`user_id`,`group_id`)

Logged in successfully to the back end of Joomla 3.8 Release Candidate using these credentials:
    Username: admin2
    Password: secret
Version of MySQL: 5.7.14
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

humblehomecook
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby humblehomecook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm

toivo wrote:In phpMyAdmin, select the #__users table and go to the tab Structure. The date columns look like this:
dates-before.jpg
First ran the following SQL statement to modify the settings of the date columns - use your own table prefix:

ALTER TABLE `bfmnq_users` CHANGE `registerDate` `registerDate` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
CHANGE `lastvisitDate` `lastvisitDate` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
CHANGE `lastResetTime` `lastResetTime` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL;

Then copied from the tutorial the following SQL statement and ran it - use your own table prefix:

INSERT INTO `bfmnq_users`
   (`name`, `username`, `password`, `params`)
    'd2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199', '');
INSERT INTO `bfmnq_user_usergroup_map` (`user_id`,`group_id`)

Logged in successfully to the back end of Joomla 3.8 Release Candidate using these credentials:
    Username: admin2
    Password: secret
Version of MySQL: 5.7.14

Thanks for all your help Toivo.

All that still did not work and so I took a different angle. I checked the hosting account and looked for the Joomla install details. The IP address I found (and entered into my browser) brought up a 'website suspended' page. I then had a chat with the hosting provider who confirmed that was indeed the case - suspended due to distributing malware!!

Not been able to speak to the client yet but they had mentioned 'vaguely' of problems with their website some time ago which someone else had fixed. Not sure of the logistics but it seems as though someone has previously implemented some sort of clone option which shows the website with the correct domain name, but presumably at a different IP address.

That would explain why creating an admin user in phpMyAdmin was not working.

I will need to revisit this with the Client.

Thanks for all your assistance (and apologies for wasting your time).

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

No problems at all, good that you found the root cause. Often explanations to weird problems turn out to be quite simple.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”