Host Installation creates mail. in zone settings CNAME record?

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
rusty1001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Host Installation creates mail. in zone settings CNAME record?

Post by rusty1001 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 am

Hi There,

I have just discovered that there is a CNAME record mail.website.not and when you visit the site stays on the mail.. WHAT the .... I discovered this via search..... and the 'sub' domain came up before main domain. I asked the host and they says it is when install the website - ie when installing joomla ? HUH Is this true? I cannot remember if I used installaron or other ....could this be the case - ? Why does it do this and seems to have created duplicate content - google analytics did not show this, or any other SEO checker. This is true for other versions of Joomla going back years. I just checked on different CMS on the same service and Does NOT do it! ??? it redirects to domain - leaving out the mail. Joomla does not redirect, other popular CMS does...

ie

mail.notdomain.com. 14400 IN CNAME notdomain.com ???? (all sites seem to have this setting)

I dont believe this is created by joomla in CPANEL but host says it could?... but Joomla is staying on it and not redirecting ....?

I have just done a test on a new service through WHM - did not touch any install for J3 ..
It has CNAME setting for mail. ??
Why would cpanel create a CNAME for mail. anyway??

Problem is Joomla does not seem to be redirecting away by default from it when other cms does??

Thanks
A winner never complains about conditions

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Host Installation creates mail. in zone settings CNAME record?

Post by leolam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 am

Please make a printscreen of your dns settings for that site and do not hide actual info or we cannot test. Alternatively give the real url

A correct CNAME entry as being created by cPanel looks per definition as per following entry as per default settings cpanel:
cname.png
It will never be mail.yourdomainname.com | 300| CNAME |yourdomainname.com. Joomla never has anything to do with creating dns entries. This is either caused by a wrong setup of the server's DNS-Zone Template that is being used on your hosting account (setup by hosting company or an error at Installatron or softaculous (never use those for installation....they are not that good. Just use the default joomla installer!)

Here you will learn more on CNAME need https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME_record. You can go easy with your domain url and go to MXtoolbox https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx and see what is wrong. A correct template looks like:
; cPanel %cpversion%
; Zone file for %domain%
$TTL %ttl%
@ %nsttl% IN SOA %nameserver%. %rpemail%. (
%serial% ; serial, todays date+todays
3600 ; refresh, seconds
1800 ; retry, seconds
1209600 ; expire, seconds
86400 ) ; minimum, seconds

%domain%. %nsttl% IN NS %nameserver%.
%domain%. %nsttl% IN NS %nameserver2%.
%domain%. %nsttl% IN NS %nameserver3%.
%domain%. %nsttl% IN NS %nameserver4%.

%nameserverentry%. IN A %nameservera%
%nameserverentry2%. IN A %nameservera2%
%nameserverentry3%. IN A %nameservera3%
%nameserverentry4%. IN A %nameservera4%

%domain%. IN A %ip%
%domain%. IN AAAA %ipv6%

%domain%. IN MX 0 %domain%.

mail IN CNAME %domain%.
www IN CNAME %domain%.
ftp IN CNAME %domain%.
Hope this helps you further

Leo 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

rusty1001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rusty1001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 am

Thanks

What I have discovered is that a standard install of a web service on CPANEL service seems to create a mail.domainname.com CNAME (found this on a 2 websites on different hosts and I have asked - it seems a standard practise with Cpanel Zone template - there seems to be no reason?)
and that there is a copy of the website on the mail. (or just showing the site on that mail. .......... - I am not sure what to call it, it is not a sub domain, and no folder exists)

The issue I found was that one (old) component I am using was actually indexing on google.... other sites were not, but was on mail.(..... copy of site... ) try it on one of your sites if you have cpanel standard install, if you do your own set up with WHM or server access it might not be..
Thanks

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 am

rusty1001 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 am
What I have discovered is that a standard install of a web service on CPANEL service seems to create a mail.domainname.com CNAME (found this on a 2 websites on different hosts and I have asked - it seems a standard practise with Cpanel Zone template - there seems to be no reason?)
We do operate a hosting company with 7K Joomla users per date and I disagree with your findings. Default cPanel does not create a mail.domainname.com at least not in our license of Cpanel I have checked this with some other client accounts in our services operations at Bluehost and Hostgator and none create the CNAME as described by you. You can also see that from the Zone template as I uploaded that for you

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

rusty1001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by rusty1001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:39 am

Host 1. mail.dec******************.com. 14400 IN CNAME dec*****************.com

Host 2. mail.ag*********************.com. 14400 IN CNAME a******************.com

Contacted one of the hosts...

Thanks for your reply.

Your cPanel service has a number of default DNS records for subdomains, that is generally used in the background.
The mail.***************.com subdomain is often used by email clients by default for email - so is added in.
There are some additional ones, such as webmail.*********.com or cpanel.*************.com - which have their own purposes

I dont really understand why - because technically the mail folder is outside the root folder - does not really make sense.
thanks

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”