Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Post Reply
robertgreenlee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding

Post by robertgreenlee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Hello,

I did a bunch of searches in the forums looking for an answer and didn't find anything. Posting in the hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Using Akeeba back I did a backup of a current Joomla site currently running version 3.4.8 on a Windows Server 2008 box. Tried to restore the backup to a Ubuntu AWS Joomla instance. The restore looked like it was going perfect until the last step when the database restored and I lost access to the website. It is not responding at all.

Thinking maybe its an issue that the old DB name is different than the new one and maybe some pointer is wrong but not having any luck with my searches.

Anybody have any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks.
Last edited by toivo on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Migrating and Upgrading

robertgreenlee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Re: Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding

Post by robertgreenlee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Little bit more info. If I try to go to the root of the site or /administrator I get a "HTTP ERROR 500". If I go to /logs or /cli I get just a white screen making me think the service is running but just can't serve up any content.

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4940
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding

Post by AMurray » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am

Joomla 3.4.8 is extremely of of date! The current version is 3.9.10!

I don't use Windows Hosting - but perhaps the problems arise from backing up from a Windows hosting environment and restoring to a LInux environment and/or to different database types (MS SQL vs MariaDB or MySQL etc) and/or working with other differences in the hosting environment like PHP versions or PHP configuration settings etc. What database (on Windows) were you using e.g. SQL Server or MySQL?

Are the PHP and MySQL versions comparable? You should be able to restore to any database, as long as its set up correctly with the relevant db user permissions etc but usually that is LInxux to Linux (or at least, Apache to Apache or Ngnix to whatever you may be using.

Note that you don't restore the site into an existing joomla instance.......you restore on a clean server (or sub-folder; no other joomla instance should be in the same folder) the backup file from Akeeba contains the entire site. You just run the Kickstart utility (the companion product to Akeeba Backup) (available from akeebabackup.com) to restore the site.

Perhaps by return reply, please detail what you have done to get this far - what procedure you followed - but also I would review the Akeeba Documentation so that you know you are following the right processes.

Also to assist us help you, please make use of the FPA utility, as suggested in the top section (red box) of this page. See https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ for details.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

robertgreenlee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Re: Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding

Post by robertgreenlee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Just to add on to this we did finally find a path forward. The old version of Joomla restored to the server server with the latest version of PHP was just not compatible. We ended up cloning the original server. Did Joomla upgrades to newer versions and then were able to migrate to the new server.

Unfortunately for the short term we had to take a different path and just migrate to another windows server but at least we know how to get around it now.

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4940
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Restored backing using Akeeba to new server but webserver is not responding

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Indeed - prior to Joomla 3.5, PHP 7 won't work. However PHP 7.2 / 7.3 are the recommended versions these days, and using the latest Joomla is always recommended if not absolutely essential for the easy upkeep and ongoing security of the site.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.


Post Reply

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”