Problems changing URL Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Post Reply
mrivner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2022 5:15 pm

Problems changing URL

Post by mrivner » Sun May 29, 2022 5:37 pm

I am trying to update my website so I can update some components and test before going to version 4. I therefore made a copy of my site at a new location. I did the following:
1) Used Akeeba to backup my site
2) Used kickstart and Angie to move it to a new location
3) This worked and I was able to access the site using a complicated URL: https://mrivner.com/rivner1 (this pointed directly to the subdirectory where my site is located--the old one was at https://mrivner.com/rivner)
4) As long as I used https://mrivner.com/rivner1 my site loaded and behaved as it should. No problems.

Now my problem. I am trying to access this site using a simpler name: https://rivner.info
1) I am pointing the url to the appropriate location in my webserver--which is Apache
2) It is pointed correctly since the content of the site is showing--but it is not formatted as it should--just plain text. I looked at many things and I cannot figure it out
3) if I repoint https://rivner.info to other Joomla sites (such as the old one) it does this fine--this also happened when I tried to point other domains to the new location--they work when I move them back
4) I also tried other themes and had the same result.
5) I tried reinstalling Joomla, I was running the latest version of version 3--no luck

I am out of ideas and would appreciate some help.
Thanks.
Michael

mrivner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2022 5:15 pm

Re: Problems changing URL

Post by mrivner » Sun May 29, 2022 8:28 pm

I was able to fix this problem. It was a problem with the configuration.php file. I am not sure what was incorrect about the file. When I replaced the configuration.php file in the /rivner1 directory with the one in the /rivner directory and fixed the names, database locations, file directories and passwords it started to work.

The configuration.php was created by Angie. I do not know enough about this file to know what was wrong.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 41705
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Problems changing URL

Post by Webdongle » Sun May 29, 2022 9:01 pm

ANGIE will use the original paths unless you tick the selection box to override the old settings.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".


Post Reply

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”