Build a test website in a subfolder

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
godano
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Build a test website in a subfolder

Post by godano » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:29 pm

Hi There,

I have a test Joomla website built in a subfolder /CLONE

I've always done in this way until it was explained to me that it's a bad practice, which I then abandoned in favor of creating subdomains instead.

This is no longer possible for me because I changed hosting where I found DirectAdmin which forces me to upload the subdomain files in a subfolder of the main domain.

I don't know if this is a DirectAdmin limit or a hosting choice, but I want to ask if this will create problems for my installations.

Thank you

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Build a test website in a subfolder

Post by gsmela » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:27 pm

I use DirectAdmin and simply create another user under the Account Manager.

For example, my main site is: www.<mydomain>.com

Additonal site: test.<mydomain>.com

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:38 pm

Normally subdomains in DirectAdmin can be accessed both through the subdomain and through the directory, e.g. subdomain.example.com and example.com/subdomain both work. Anyways, Joomla works fine in subdirectories. Simple rule is that you should never prepend the subdirectory to in-content links- this should be handled by the code. The same goes for domains. You should always use URLs relative to Joomla root and let Joomla handle the rest. This way you don't have to change anything when you move domains or directories.

godano
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by godano » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:00 pm

I asked this question because I am in this exact situation https://yootheme.com/support/question/145453 You can see how support recommends not to use a subfolder to add another site.

And as in that request, I have the same problem with builder preview :D

Many thanks

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”