transfer site to remote host receiving "error" message Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Brian55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

transfer site to remote host receiving "error" message

Post by Brian55 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:06 am

Hello,
I am using Joomla 3.10.11.
I have backed up my site and moved files using Akeeba backup and Akeeba kickstart to a remote server so I can upgrade to Joomla 4. When I try to view the front end or the back end I get a white screen with an "error" in the top left corner.
Brian

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: transfer site to remote host receiving "error" message

Post by AMurray » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 am

Is that remote server your web host or a different hosting service from the live site? This error is occurring before you updated to Joomal 4 correct? It's occurring after restoring your Joomla 3.10 site?

Check the PHP.ini settings for display_errors/error_reporting, and debug or however you can adjust these on your web host in your hosting account. In your Joomla configuration.php, turn on the (same) settings - error_reporting - maximum, and turn on debug, so that you should then see what "Error" is referring to. Post any error messages you see to a new reply on this forum thread.

When you say you "moved the files" did you do the restoration process as per Akeeba Kickstart's procedure? That is, you need kickstart.php and the JPA file on the server/folder you are restoring to.

Run Kickstart, it extracts all the files, and then launches the installer to restore the site; you would enter details such as those for MySQL (just as you would if you were installing Joomla for the first time).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Brian55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Brian55 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:41 am

Hi A Murray,
Yes this is still my Joomla 3.10 site. I am restoring it on the same host to a different subdomain.
I changed the Configuration.php error_reporting and the debug. This is the message I receive when I open the page.

Warning: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /tmp) in /home/www/joomla4.1.us.tempcloudsite.com/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 260
Error: Failed to start application: Failed to start the session

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:16 pm

Brian55 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:41 am
Warning: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /tmp) in /home/www/joomla4.1.us.tempcloudsite.com/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 260
Error: Failed to start application: Failed to start the session
Those messages usually mean that the database details or the database credentials are incorrect. Edit the file configuration.php in the main Joomla folder and fix the details. Here is an example.

Code: Select all

public $dbtype = 'mysqli';
	public $host = 'localhost';
	public $user = 'database-username;
	public $password = 'database-password';
	public $db = 'database-schema-name';
	public $dbprefix = 'ygb54_';
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:30 pm

In my experience, if the database details are incorrect, the Kickstart installer would not restore the database at all and shows an error about "username@localhost denied. Cannot connect to MySQL....." (to that effect).

The error is also saying the /tmp file is not read-writable - check those permissions - should be CHMOD 755 on Linux servers

viewtopic.php?t=981538 may provide some helpful advice as it is a similar question.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Brian55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Brian55 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:15 pm

I got the site to open. It was an incorrect "public $host = 'localhost';"
Thanks for the help. Now I will try to upgrade to Jooomla 4.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”