Error installing joomla 3

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
avandenbroeck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error installing joomla 3

Post by avandenbroeck » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Hello al please help if you can.
I am installing Joomla 3x on Centos 7. All requirements are met (php and mysql). I have gone as far as changing permition on the installation folder to 777, and also create the configuration.php manually , but i keep getting the following error.

Your configuration file or folder is not writable or there was a problem creating the configuration file. You will have to upload the following code by hand. Select in the text area to highlight all of the code and then paste into a new text file. Name this file 'configuration.php' and upload it to your site root folder.
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: cross post removed, cross posting not allowed - see the forum rules https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Error installing joomla 3

Post by AMurray » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 pm

You shouldn't need 777 permissions (and certainly shouldn't leave it like that).

Which exact version of 3.x are you installing - please be precise in your questions.

Please post your FPA Report: see this link for detail: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Error installing joomla 3

Post by AMurray » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 pm

I will assume you have changed the following lines in configuration.php and then uploaded it?

Code: Select all

public $db = 'your-database-name';
public $dbprefix = 'your-prefix_'; 
public $host = 'localhost'; 
public $user = 'your-database-username'; 
public $dbtype = 'mysqli'; 
public $password = 'your-db-user-password'; 

You can edit configuration.php in a text editor (suggest Notepad++).

If it's saying configuration.php is not writeable, then I suspect that its set to 444 which is its default setting, that is read-only as it should be. You need to set that to 755 to open/edit it.

But also make sure the entire set of folders for JOomla are CHMOD 755 (not 777) and files are set to 644 (exception being configuration.php usually set to 444 but for editing you may need to change it.)
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”