Already have a joomla website but want to use that domain for my new one

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
jeffreygreene
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Already have a joomla website but want to use that domain for my new one

Post by jeffreygreene » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:24 pm

I want to update from the older 2.5 server to the newest one. I downloaded the newest server and now am only running into the problem that I want to use the domain name still attached to the old webiste. I don't have access to the super-admin account, just the admin, but I am the registered owner of the domain when you look it up on who-is. Soo.. What should I do?
edit: website is Jeffreygreenemetaldesigns.com

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Already have a joomla website but want to use that domain for my new one

Post by toivo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 pm

The website itself does not hold the domain attached to it. The domain name system (DNS) is separate from your web server and it points your domain to the IP address of the server, managed by your host.

If you need access to the back end of your site, there are instructions how to do reset the Super User password using phpMyAdmin from the cPanel, provided by your host. Then it is up to you to install for example the de-facto standard backup extension, Akeeba Backup, and back up the site.

Once you have restored the backup to your workstation, running a bundle like XAMPP or Wampserver, you can be confident that all the data is backed up and you can still access the articles and other content from your workstation and restore the site again, if required.

When you have got this far, you can test the upgrade process, which is well documented. You need to check all the extension you want continue using have a version for Joomla 3.x.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”