mySQL database recovery

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
kutichanin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

mySQL database recovery

Post by kutichanin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm

I was setting up a new Windows web server and installed Joomla and set up the database to an external database that all my web servers utilize. When making the connection, I was presented a question of whether to store the database, or delete the database. I didn't expect this, but I selected "store" the database. Now, I have discovered that the new Joomla installation rewrote the mySQL database. Not good. Where did the "stored" database get stored? I have looked but can not locate anything that resembles a stored mySQL database. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated so I can restore the database and return the world to its normal balance.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: mySQL database recovery

Post by imanickam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 pm

kutichanin wrote:When making the connection, I was presented a question of whether to store the database, or delete the database.
Are you referring to the option "Old database process" in the screen "Database Configuration" (https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla)?

If it is indeed the option "Old database process", then it should affect only the tables that had the "Table Prefix".
"Backup" or "Remove" any existing tables from former Joomla! installations with the same "Table Prefix".
In this option if the value "Backup" is chosen, all the tables whose name starting with the given "Table Prefix" will be backed up with the added prefix "bak_". For example, if the table prefix used is "jos_" then all the existing tables whose name starting with "jos_" in the database are renamed with additional text string "bak_" as "bak_jos_". For additional clarification, the table "jos_users" would have been renamed as "bak_jos_users".

Any other tables would have been left in tact.

Hope this information is helpful
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”