Fresh install of 3.8.0 v upgrade

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Fresh install of 3.8.0 v upgrade

Post by JoomTom » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:39 pm

Having issues upgrading from 3.7.5 to 3.8.0. Could I just do a fresh install of 3.8.0 and point to my existing (3.7.5) database, or are there database changes between the two revs? TIA.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Fresh install of 3.8.0 v upgrade

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 pm

This is always a tough question to answer. It's a question about what "backward compatibility" (as opposed to "forward compatibility") means.

If you create a J! 3.8.0 database and link it to a set of J! 3.7.5 files then it's probable that the site will continue to work; however, as a general principle, the files that relate to J! 3.7.x will not leverage the changes made to the database. On the other hand, having a J! 3.7.x database and attempting to use J! 3.8 to connect/interact with it is not a sure thing and I wouldn't advise running a production website in this way.

In other words, although J! 3.8.0 added some things to the Joomla database—and there were some minor changes made to the database schema—the "old" data was not modified in ways that should prevent it being interoperable with the J! 3.7 files. The converse is not true.

Does this answer your question?

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks for that, it's what I feared. Alternatively, could the 3.7.5 database content be imported to the new 3.8.0 database?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:30 am

JoomTom wrote:Alternatively, could the 3.7.5 database content be imported to the new 3.8.0 database?
How, "alternatively", would you propose to go about doing that?

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 am

I was asking if I could do a fresh install of 3.8.0, allow it to create a database, then import data from the existing 3.7.5 database into the new database. Sounds like you don't think this can be done?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 am

I didnt say that it can't be done. I was asking you a question. How do you propose that you would go about doing whatever it is that you're thinking of doing? That's all I was asking.

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 am

Apologies, but if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. Thinking aloud:

- Do a fresh install of 3.8.0, including the creation of a new database and DB user.
- Use phpMyAdmin to export data from the old (3.7.5) database.
- Use phpMyAdmin to import the data into the new (3.8.0) database.
- Install my custom template.

If the above can't be done, I'll need to manually re-create all my content in a fresh install of 3.8.0; A lot of work/time, but doable if there's no easier option.

Thanks again.

wwhite
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by wwhite » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 am

Also, search the JED for import/export extensions.
Check to be sure they work with 3.8
They might make quick work of what you want to do
Keep good backups and test w localhost first
Joomla - K2
Funeral Director - Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day!
Saying - This old world keeps spinning round, it a wonder tall trees aint laying down https://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=c_W9aaQ1Apo

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:50 am

@JoomTom: I don't think it's appropriate that I should make comments about whether something is theoretically possible and be proven wrong by a working experiment that says otherwise. I think you should try whatever it is that you want to do and see if it works.

I've done my best to answer the theoretical question but I don't know how we got here—what led to asking the original question. The only thing we know is that you seem to be having "issues" upgrading from 3.7.5 to 3.8.0 but we don't know any more than that. Good luck. Prove me right or prove me wrong; I will be interested in the outcome. 8)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 am

JoomTom wrote:Having issues upgrading from 3.7.5 to 3.8.0.
What issues you have? Please clarify

And what you think to do is not flying and will destroy your site. So explain what issues you have

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am

leolam wrote:
JoomTom wrote:Having issues upgrading from 3.7.5 to 3.8.0.
What issues you have? Please clarify

And what you think to do is not flying and will destroy your site. So explain what issues you have

Leo 8)
Hi Leo,

I have 3 installs of Joomla at different hosts. 2 of the installs have always updated just fine. The third install hasn't updated 'cleanly' for several revisions. However, thanks to help here, I was able to complete the updates using postupdate.php, until 3.8.0 came along.

This latest update was resulting in a cache error "file cache storage is not enabled on this platform". I contacted the host and they resolved that issue. But now, while using the 1-click update method, I repeatedly get the error "Invalid login". I assumed this was the ftp login, but I've checked the user name and password, and they appear to be correct.

I've tried overwriting the files with the update via ftp, then running postupdate.php, and it results in more errors.

Having gone around this loop multiple times, I figured I would do a fresh install and migrate my DB content.

Tom

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

@JoomTom: I agree with Leo and Per. From the sounds of things, you're over-complicating matters.

In summary:

1) You have "issues"—it sounds like one issue—with one website out of three. Please spare a thought for people like us who manage dozens of websites and the issues we contend with, on a daily basis, are exceedingly more complex than the ones you're facing.

2) The "file cache storage is not enabled on this platform" is not a show-stopper. Disable caching and you won't have the problem; it's not rocket-science and it's not a reason to consider I-don't-know-what by retro-fitting the J! 3.8.0 database onto the J! 3.7.5 caboose (or vice-versa).

3) So you have had problems in the past with using the FTP layer? OK, did you understand why, in the past, you used the FTP layer or did it just seem to be a "good idea" at the time? Again, you need to ask yourself why you did it, whether you still need it and whether this was the one show-stopping "issue" that prompted this discussion.

4) "Having gone round the loop several times" you figured you'd just chicken-out instead of ask the questions appropriate to your situation, perhaps? I understand that. I think we're all a bit cautious about baring our souls to total strangers and candidly admitting that we made a goof or two. No-one is going to beat you up for admitting that you're out of your depth.

5) If you want to prove us wrong, by going through with your intention to pour a J! 3.7.5 body into a J! 3.8.0 suit (or whatever it was you were trying to outfit), then please go ahead and prove us all wrong.

6) If you're interested in resolving your "issues" then let's hear more about them (but not in this discussion topic please).

7) I don't think this is worth losing any sleep over. I would go ahead and update my J! 3.7.5 website and be done with it.

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:37 pm

sozzled, apologies if I hit a nerve that caused the somewhat combative response; That was certainly not my intent.
Please spare a thought for people like us who manage dozens of websites ...
I too manage numerous web sites, but only 3 use Joomla.
If you want to prove us wrong ... then please go ahead and prove us all wrong.
I have no desire to prove anyone wrong, and I can't understand what gave you that impression; I merely asked a question if something could be done, because I'd failed to get my site to update by other means.
I would go ahead and update my J! 3.7.5 website and be done with it.
It appears that you missed the fact that my 3.7.5 site won't update using the methods I've tried.

Meanwhile, I'm following Per's suggestion to run the FPA. Apologies for not having done that sooner.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Best done on localhost
  1. Install a copy of your site and set Protostar as default Template
  2. In a different folder and new database install Joomla 3.7.5 and edit the configuration.php to connect to your site database
  3. Update Joomla
    If that is successful
  4. Install Joomla 3.8.0 to another folder and another new database
  5. Download your 3rd party extensions and install them into your fresh 3.8.0 Joomla
  6. Edit the configuration.php of the fresh 3.8.0 Joomla to connect to your updated database.
Step #3 uses fresh Joomla files to update your database without the 3rd party extension files interfering.
Step #6 connects Joomla 3.8.0 (and 3rd party files) to your updated database.

That method also has the advantage of ruling out a hack because you will need to delete the files from the server to upload the updated site. It can be done on the server but I find it easier on localhost.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

Webdongle, a big thanks for that. I'm currently in transit (~1200 miles drive), so I'll give this a shot when I get home (late tomorrow or maybe the following day).

One question ... when you say "it's best done on localhost", do you mean on a local LAMP stack? I ask because my 'live' host name is named localhost. I haven't maintained a local LAMP stack for many years (back in the Mambo/pre-Joomla days), but I have a backup/test site that I could try it on.

Thanks again,
Tom

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am

Yes by 'localhost' I mean on your PC e.g. xampp, wamp etc. It can be done on the Host server (even if Package only allows one database) but personally I find it easier on localhost.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JoomTom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomTom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:41 am

OK thanks.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”