Error after restore: Failed to start session

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
wetken
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error after restore: Failed to start session

Post by wetken » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm

I had exactly this issue today, but it was preceded by an 'unable to create directory' message, and the update stalled. I then got the 500 error after trying to use the site. I resolved it by doing a complete restore to the pre-update state, executing chown -R to ensure there were no files not owned by the site, then re-starting the update. However, I now have an error which I had thought was fixed;

Warning: ini_set(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in /home/<myuser>/public_html/<mysite>/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php on line 48

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/<myuser>/public_html/<mysite>/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php:48) in /home/<myuser>/public_html/<mysite>/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php on line 110
Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Failed to start the session because headers have already been sent by "/home/<myuser>/public_html/<mysite>/libraries/joomla/session/handler/joomla.php" at line 48.

There was a patch for this; do I need to re-apply it?
Last edited by toivo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from another topic - please create your own topics in the future

wetken
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Error after restore: Failed to start session

Post by wetken » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Moderator: you have split this off from another post which gave it context but not labelled it appropriately. The 500 error was following an update from 3.7.5 to 3.8; the restore was my way of recovering, not the cause of the error.
As regards the Instantiation error, commenting out line 48 in joomla.php allows the application to run, apparently successfully, but time will tell, I guess.
A better title might have been 'Error 500 - Instantiation Error following update from 3.7.5 to 3.8'

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”