Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 pm

I use GoDaddy as my hosting site for alchemipuzzles.com.

I used the Installatron to upgrade to 3.8.3, and then I get this message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JApplicationAdministrator::isClient() in /home/badgerhair/public_html/plugins/system/logout/logout.php on line 48

And that's all I can get if I try and use the alchemipuzzles.com site.

Any help gratefully received.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Is that installed via the gddy CP script and updated via their link ?

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 pm

alchemipuzzles.com is a Joomla website. It was on 3.6.5 and I then used Installatron to upgrade to 3.8.3 and now I can't get into the site at all because of the error message.

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Yes. I clicked on "check for updates", it found 3.8.3 and then I told it to upgrade. It went through the upgrade script and then came out with that message at the end.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby sozzled » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Alchemi wrote:alchemipuzzles.com is a Joomla website. It was on 3.6.5 and I then used Installatron to upgrade to 3.8.3 ...
Yeah, I read recently where someone else had posted on this forum about the wonders of Installatron.

Well, I have no experience with using snake-oil remedies; I've always kept my websites up-to-date and used the recommended methods to update Joomla. The recommended method to update from J! 3.6.5 to J! 3.8.3 is to use the Joomla! Update component.

I understand that you have an error message that reads something like
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JApplicationAdministrator::isClient() in /home/badgerhair/public_html/plugins/system/logout/logout.php on line 48
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm also sorry to read another unhappy GoDaddy story; you get what you pay for.

My first thought would be to restore the website back to J! 3.6.5 from the backup that you made before you attempted the "installatron" idea. You did make a backup of your website before attempting to update to J! 3.8.3, yes?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I will rephrase my questions.

1. Did you use the install in the gddy Control Panel to install Joomla ? (hint: the answer is Yes or No).
2. Did you use an update that's the gddy Control Panel to update Joomla ? (hint: the answer is Yes or No).

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:32 am

To Webdongle.Yes and yes.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 am

Then the problem is with gddys version of Joomla. The quckstart package offered by gddy is different to Joomla ... good luck getting gddy to admit it and fix it.

You could try rebuilding the files on localhost then connecting them to your database.
On localhost use the Joomla full package (of the same version as your Joomla).
Install your 3rd party extensions.
Export your your original database and import it to an empty database on localhost.
Edit the configuration.php to connect to the database that has your site data.
Make a backup.

You might then be able to update correctly or fix the problem and update.

gddy are (imho) useless and by rebuilding the files on localhost you are are using correct Joomla files on a stable platform.

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm

@Webdongle - Thanks, I guess, for that gloomy response.

I haven't exactly followed your advice, which is of course silly, but bear with me. I've installed a clean version of Joomla 3.8.3 to a different directory. What I'm wondering now is whether I can extract the stuff from the corrupted version and put it into the new one.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm

If you install the 3rd party extensions to the new Joomla then edit the configuration.php (of the fresh install) to connect to the original database then ..
You will have fresh joomla files using the original database. That will negate the need to move the data :D You can then use Akeeba to move the site. But rebuilding on localhost on your PC would (imho) be easier.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:57 pm

@Webdongle: I don't want to pick an argument about whether it's "easier" to create a PC-hosted development environment, learn how to configure Apache, MySQL and PHP (so that the development environment on the PC mirrors the live environment), copy the "problem" site from the hosted environment to the PC environment, make a few changes on the PC-hosted environment and then copy the reworked site from the PC back to the live environment (especially when the user's experience is to have chosen GoDaddy in the first place and they believe in snake-oil remedies like Installatron).

I agree with everything else you've written: (a) install the third-party extensions used by the original/problem site on the new site and then (b) associate the new website with the original database ... and keep your fingers crossed that the original database is, itself, not inherently "problematic" also. ;). I think this is a lot easier than all of the other messing around, particularly for people who don't know how to do all those other things.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm

sozzled wrote:@Webdongle: I don't want to pick an argument about whether it's "easier" to create a PC-hosted development environment, learn how to configure Apache, MySQL and PHP (so that the development environment on the PC mirrors the live environment), copy the "problem" site from the hosted environment to the PC environment, make a few changes on the PC-hosted environment and then copy the reworked site from the PC back to the live environment (especially when the user's experience is to have chosen GoDaddy in the first place and they believe in snake-oil remedies like Installatron)....
Not what I'm proposing. Wamp is preconfigured ans stable. For the purpose of rebuilding the site files then installing on localhost will :
  • Prevents the user from mixing the the files with those on the server
  • Removes the variable of it being a gddy server problem
Installing Joomla on localhost and installing the 3rd party extensions to it ... makes sure all the files (Joomla and 3rd party) are present and correct.
Exporting/importing the site database and connecting the configuration.php to it ... should give a working site.
Once he has a working site he can then move it to the Host ... if it then doesn't work then he knows it is a Hosting problem.

Yes the process can be performed on the server but I have found advising that has at least two problems.
1. It is unknown if the server is part ofthe problem.
2. Users who can't work out how to rebuild the files often get confused when attempting to attempt the process on the Host where the live site is.

We could discuss the pros and cons of which is best (a stable localhost or Host that is renowned for being bad) but in the end it is up to the OP where he decides to rebuild the site files.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Webdongle wrote:Wamp is preconfigured and stable.
... assuming that the person doing this has experience with it. The OP's experience with Joomla seems to be limited to choosing (a) GoDaddy as a webhosting provider (and we, who are experienced website developers, know that GoDaddy is a poort choice and (b) Installatron—a scripted quick-installation procedure—as a means of updating from one version of Joomla to another (and we, who are experienced users, know that there's no clinical proof that this method has any benefit whatsoever). Without wishing to sound patronising to the OP, this topic reads like "three-mouseclicks-and-hey-presto-I-built-a-website ... and then ... $*&#!"

Webdongle wrote:Once he has a working site ... then ...
Again, we're assuming that this process is easy. Perhaps, for someone who has several years of experience working with installing and operating PC-hosted environments, this may be a facile process but, again, if people choose GoDaddy (after all the horror stories we've read about GoDaddy' [in]ability to provide assistance to users who encounter problems) they probably have little understanding about how to configure and run a webserver themselves, no?

Webdongle wrote:Yes the process can be performed on the server but I have found advising that has at least two problems.
1. It is unknown if the server is part ofthe problem.
2. Users who can't work out how to rebuild the files often get confused when attempting to attempt the process on the Host where the live site is.
Possibly but, again, we're assuming facts without evidence.

Webdongle wrote:We could discuss the pros and cons of which is best (a stable localhost or Host that is renowned for being bad) but in the end it is up to the OP where he decides to rebuild the site files.
Yep, we could (and I have). The point I was trying to make earlier is that it probably doesn't assist to have a panel discussion about it here because it may only confuse the OP. ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Possibly but, again, we're assuming facts without evidence.
No we are not assuming facts. We are ruling out an unknown.

As for installing wamp ...installing software on a PC i something most people have done. To produce fresh Joomla and 3rd party files then installing Joomla is something the OP would have to do anyway. (uploading and unzipping the files will not put all the files in the correct place.

Whether it be on localhost or on the Host server ... the same process will need to be performed. imho performing the process on localhost rules out a lot of unknowns. But like I said it is up to the OP to decide which (if any) he performs the process on. But one big benefit of doing it on localhost there is less likelihood of breaking his site even further.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Arguable (and I don't want to prolong the argument). If "most people" have installed WAMP without hassles—I haven't used it myself but I've used XAMPP which is similar (and it wasn't hassle-free)—then we could also make similar assumptions by saying that most people have used GoDaddy at one time or another and that they've had problems or that most people use the Joomla! Update component to go from one version of Joomla to another and, likewise, they, too, have never encountered problems. I'm not defending GoDaddy; one gets what one is prepared to invest one's time and money in.

We both know that localhost webservers neither exclude nor resolve issues caused by a commercial hosted setup. The simple truth is that everyone has problems but we can't second-guess people's abilities to handle the various recommendations that emerge from technical forums like this one. What's "easier" (or "easiest") for one person might be an insurmountable obstacle to overcome for someone else.

As I've written many times before, some people swear by localhost/PC-hosted development environments and a lot of people swear at them, too! ;) Cheers! ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:39 am

sozzled wrote:...
We both know that localhost webservers neither exclude nor resolve issues caused by a commercial hosted setup. ...
They do not resolve issues caused by a commercial hosted setup but I never said they did. But they do exclude issues caused by a commercial hosted setup because the commercial hosted setup is not being used. In any case it's up to the OP(and any user that's reading this thread) to choose where to try rebuilding the site.

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

@Webdongle:
Were we talking about a nice IBM z/OS mainframe, I wouldn't have a problem at all because I've got 35 years experience of installing and maintaining Db2 for a large company. So I'm not a complete nitwit, but I'm pretty much at sea on a Windows/Linux box when it comes to sysadmin work.

It seems a bit of a pity to just give up on Joomla and build a new site using new software to display the interactive crossword puzzles I've composed, because I'd put quite a bit of work into constructing the thing. I wasn't deeply impressed with Joomla, but I had learned how to work with it.But if I were starting from scratch, I think I would probably try and find something else. That's how I'm beginning to think because I have no idea how to extract the Joomla structure I'd built in the old copy and import it to a new copy, which is what I'd think of doing in general terms.

The error message I'm getting is:
Call to undefined method JApplicationAdministrator::isClient() in /home/badgerhair/public_html/plugins/system/logout/logout.php on line 48

It strikes me that working out how to put a valid isClient() method in the right place might solve the problem rather more quickly than going through the process of rebuilding the site.

Alchemi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Alchemi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:30 pm

However, I have now solved the problem. Noticing that the Gddy control panel still said that the site was on 3.6.x, I decided to try updating to 3.8.2 rather than 3.8.3.

That was successful and the site is back up. Needless to say, I shall not be performing any upgrade to 3.8.3, and shall wait for a later version.

I'd like to thank those who've commented and tried to help: although I haven't been able to follow every detail of th discussion, I've understood enough to find it enlightening.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Alchemi wrote:...
It seems a bit of a pity to just give up on Joomla and build a new site using new software ....
No the idea was not to build a new site but to replace the files with fresh uncorrupted ones. Installing Joomla and 3rd party extensions was suggested as a method to put the files in the correct place. Once all the files were present and correct then they are connected to the database. The database is the site not the files ... all the files do is put/get and display data to/from the database. Replacing the files is not building a new site.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34141
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Fatal error after installing 3.8.3

Postby Webdongle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Now that you have your site working again https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/akeeba-backup/ may be a good idea.


Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests