Installation in subdomain - 403 error

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Cherchez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installation in subdomain - 403 error

Postby Cherchez » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

There seem to be several threads in this area - but I still can't fathom this out.

Problem: When I browse to my sub-domain at http://subdomain.maindomain.org/ I get the following error:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Here's how I've set things up:
CPanel shows the document root for subdomain.maindomain.org as /public_html/Subdomain
I've not set up any redirection
I've got the following folder on my site: /public_html/Subdomain
I've actually loaded a Joomla quickstart package there, but when I browse to subdomain.maindomain.org I get the error above.

This seems simple enough, but I can't see what's wrong. I don't know whether it's anything to do with it, but htaccess.txt has the following line:

Code: Select all

# RewriteBase /

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Installation in subdomain - 403 error

Postby AMurray » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Does browsing to the folder normally work? i.e. try browsing to yourmaindomain.com/subdomain rather than subdomain.maindomain.com just to see if you can access the sub-folder in the normal way.

If it still comes up with the 403 error, then there is likely an issue with the file or folder permissions.

For Joomla, the correct / recommended settings are 755 for folders, 644 for files. If they are not set correctly, that can trigger the 403 error but there are other causes such as the directory listing is disabled and there is no "index" file in the folder or authentication error when using htaccess/htpasswd to protect folders.

If as you say you have placed a quick start package there (extracted from the ZIP file), then the expected behaviour should be that it launches the Joomla installer.

Please check the file permissions - CHMOD 755 for folders, 644 for files within the folder the Joomla files are located in.

htaccess.txt (if needed) should be renamed .htaccess for it to have any effect.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Cherchez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation in subdomain - 403 error

Postby Cherchez » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks AMurray. Very clear!
I get a 403 error for both maindomain.org/subdomain and subdomain.maindomain.org
Permissions on folders and files are correct (755 for folders, 644 for files).
Your comment helped me work out the problem though. I had copied the Joomla folders to the subdomain, but not the files in the root - so I was missing the index.php. After copying the files over I see the Joomla installation page. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”