Problems Installing a localhost (XAMPP) Installion of Joomla 3.x with 2 MySQL servers

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
robatbentley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problems Installing a localhost (XAMPP) Installion of Joomla 3.x with 2 MySQL servers

Post by robatbentley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm

I've been building Joomla sites for a few years but kept it simple with a single instance of XAMPP MySQL server in my localhost development setup. However, I've moved from this to a dual MySQL server config. i.e. My current config is where I have a MySQL server (from Microsoft) for various apps (such as MediaPortal etc) and a seperate MySQL server (from XAMPP) to support my Joomla development installations. I currently have the 2 MySQL servers running, and the XAMPP workaround (details available on request) seems to be working but using port 3308 for the XAMPP MySQL server.

I guess this is not a good setup to go with as it's been somewhat complicated to get to this point, but the main problem I'm now having is that I'm unable to install a new Joomla 3.x localhost site as it complains that it's unable to connect to the MySQL server with
Error Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server.
My problem is that I don't know how to point the Joomla installation to the XAMPP version of MySQL server. I assume that it's pointing to the other server without any configured Joomla database or user.

Is is doable or have I made a complex situation where I should really have stuck with a simple single instance of MySQL server. ...and that reverting back to the single SQL server setup means rebuilding just about everything on my development PC that references a SQL server (such as MP). I guess that I feel that apps like MP should be seperate to mydev environment and not be dependent on it just in case I have to change the MYSQL server sourced from say XAMPP to something else.

I did try configuring XAMPP to point to the MS MySQL server but it complained about expecting a XAMPP reference in the servers path.

In summary, my preferred requirement for a dev setup is for all Joomla dev to reference the XAMPP SQL server, and all other non-dev apps to reference the MS SQL server. I may have to repeat this post in a XAMPP forum to as it could (is?) more related to the XAMPP installation.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks...

Prowebdesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Problems Installing a localhost (XAMPP) Installion of Joomla 3.x with 2 MySQL servers

Post by Prowebdesign » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi robatbentley,

I have been in this situation myself a couple of times after moving my XAMPP installation to another Hard drive or place.
I am guessing you have the same problem as I and might have simply inserted wrong MYSQL username, password or host name.

Please also check if the host name IP address has not changed. It might be causing the issues.

Best wishes
Best regards,
Streamline
Web design blog and tutorials http://www.majas-lapu-izstrade.lv
http://www.uniqcube.com

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”