move from local server to online server

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bevco
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

move from local server to online server

Postby bevco » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 pm

My site is working fine on my local server but when we use Akeeba and kickstart to move it to the online server, we get a blank administrator page with an icon at the top. The front end looks fine.

We tried upgrading online from 3.7.5 to 3.8.3 but could not get it to work - kept getting a message that could not write to xxxx file over and over with different files each time. However, I was able to upgrade on local server but now cannot get it online.

What can be the problem and what do I do now??

Thanks!
Bev
Bev
Mt Garfield Software

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: move from local server to online server

Postby AMurray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 am

Using Kickstart and Akeeba should be painless....but these resources may also assist: https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_websi ... emote_host and also https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website

The "cannot write to file" sounds like a permissions issue. Therefore, can you please use the FPA Reporting tool and post the results to this discussion. Download the tool here: viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860.

The report will give us info on your server environment (the live site).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

bevco
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: move from local server to online server

Postby bevco » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Forget the note I made about upgrading and cannot access that was a side note I should have left out.

I have upgraded the copy on my local server but when we use Akeeba and Kickstart to put it on the online server, we get the blank administrator page. I went to the error log and there is no error logged for this.

Right now we have the old version online as we need the site to stay up as much as possible.
Bev
Mt Garfield Software

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”