Changed servers and nothing works

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Changed servers and nothing works

Postby schemer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Ok, I was having so many problems with the shared server I was on the last 3-4 days and after about 60 phone calls with no fix, I decided to upgrade to a VPS to fix the problems once and for all. Well, it almost worked. ;D Never moved my Joomla sites (3 of them) before and expected them to just work or maybe edit a config file but I need help or guidance right now. All my files have been moved from a shared server to a VPS within the same hosting company. What do I have to do to get my Joomla sites back up and running? All I see is an error message that basically tells me to contact the webmaster which is actually me. :D
Thanks,
schemer
Last edited by schemer on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
schemer :)

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Changed servers and nothing works

Postby toivo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm

What is the exact error message, please?

Is your database server the same as before?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf#zoom=100

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Image1.jpg
\\Thanks

I do not know if the database server is the same as before but I will find out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Yes the databases have been moved to the new server too. I contacted support and learned a bit about all the new responsibility that comes with a VPS server as opposed to a shared server. Gotta learn some time. :)
Thanks,

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby ribo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:44 pm

As i saw in your picture probably it has to do with your server configuration or configuration of your domain or something else in whm of your vps. I don t think that joomla's configuration.php and database has any revelance to your issue.
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 pm

It's possible, but not a certainty, that the IP address of the VPS has not propagated through the internet or that your PC has not rechecked the DNS information since you created the VPS. If you're using a Windows machine you could try entering the command

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
and then try again to reach the website. If nothing else, it's worth a try and you have nothing to lose. Good luck. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 pm

sozzled wrote:It's possible, but not a certainty, that the IP address of the VPS has not propagated through the internet or that your PC has not rechecked the DNS information since you created the VPS. If you're using a Windows machine you could try entering the command

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
and then try again to reach the website. If nothing else, it's worth a try and you have nothing to lose. Good luck. :)

Thanks. I already tried that twice now and no luck. I see my path on my old shared server was home1/ and my new one is just home/ so I wonder if that is the problem and I could just change it to home1/?

EDIT: I just checked the backends and 2 of 3 of my Joomla Site backend login prompt are loading up but I haven't tried to login yet. One just says "Error" for the page that comes up. So maybe the Joomla stuff takes longer to work than all my HTML pages as they are all working since yesterday.
Thanks,

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Sometimes these things take time. If, as I suspect, the DNS information has not yet propagated through the Internet—a process that can take anywhere from 1 to 24 hours—then you may have to be patient. On the other hand, if it's been more than 24 hours since you setup the VPS then I would put the question back to your webhosting provider.

I agree with @ribo: I cannot see anything related to Joomla, per se, that would cause this kind of problem.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

I can get into the Joomla backend and then load the site from there and 2 of them work. But if I load the site without Joomla just using the web address the oldest v25 site works but the v38 ones does not and the 3rd on is a FAIL either way with "Error" the only thing I have to go on. I will be patient and see what happens.
Thanks
Thanks,

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 am

Ok. Patience all ran out. Deleted 2 of 3 Joomla v3.x sites. Hackers win. HTML 5 is starting to look better now. :) But seriously, are there any other Joomla related forums that I can look for help in? Seems like with 89,000,000 downloads there would be more help or maybe I am not looking in the right place??
Thanks,
schemer
Thanks,

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 am

There is more than one way to move a Joomla site to a different server. Akeeba Backup, mentioned quite at the end of the following tutorial, is the simplest and most popular way: https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website

The Forum Post Assistant (FPA), listed at the top of this forum, would provide more information about the configuration of your server to us volunteers here: viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

If you need paid support, you can post your request and contact details to the Professional Development Services forum at viewforum.php?f=177
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf#zoom=100

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:24 pm

toivo wrote:There is more than one way to move a Joomla site to a different server. Akeeba Backup, mentioned quite at the end of the following tutorial, is the simplest and most popular way: https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website

The Forum Post Assistant (FPA), listed at the top of this forum, would provide more information about the configuration of your server to us volunteers here: viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

If you need paid support, you can post your request and contact details to the Professional Development Services forum at viewforum.php?f=177

Thanks.I will use the FPA in the future after I get going again. I prefer to learn how to do the admin duties without paying for outside help because then I will never learn anything.
Thanks,

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm

schemer wrote:I will use the FPA in the future after I get going again.
Yes, please do. Remember that this forum is run by volunteers and that every website is different. We don't know everything about everything—in fact, we probably know next-to-nothing about how each of the millions of Joomla websites created everywhere were set up—and, while we'll do our best, it's better if we have some technical information to assist us to give you (and other users of the forum) the best possible advice.'

Good luck. Cheers. 8)
Last edited by sozzled on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 pm

sozzled wrote:[quote="schemer"I will use the FPA in the future after I get going again.
Yes, please do. Remember that this forum is run by volunteers and that every website is different. We don't know everything about everything—in fact, we probably know next-to-nothing about how each of the millions of Joomla websites created everywhere were set up—and, while we'll do our best, it's better if we have some technical information to assist us to give you (and other users of the forum) the best possible advice.'

Good luck. Cheers. 8)[/quote]

Thanks sozzled. My main problems right now seem to be my host. :D Tech support is friendly but when I ask for help they seem like they know about as much as I do about what I am asking. I asked about how to enable an AV solution on my server and the guy said he didn't know how. So I researched online and found a help file (from their own site) that showed me how to do it. :laugh: Problem is, after following the instructions it did not fully implement and now I am a registered noob user at the Cpanel forum getting help. I am more than willing and able to learn but just need a kick in the pants to send me in the right direction. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money as my needs are simple and I could always resort back to HTML but wanted to use Joomla for the power.
Thanks,

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 pm

I don't know anything about your webhosting provider (I think you mentioned Blue Host) and it would be inappropriate for me to comment on whether it's a good or "not-so-good" webhost. The determining factor in what makes a webhost a suitable, dependable partner in your business comes down to a personal choice. I have used a couple of different webhosting providers over the years; when I was dissatisfied with one I moved on to another. I'm fairly happy with the arrangements that I have in place today (but there's no certainty that I will be using them over the years to come).

If you're not getting good service or knowledgeable advice from your current webhosting provider then (a) cut your losses and move your business elsewhere, or (b) contact an experienced professional to act on your behalf. It's a bit like preparing your annual income tax return: I haven't the time or the interest (or the detailed knowledge of changing tax laws) to prepare my own tax returns; I have an accountant who manages those things for me. ;)

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm

sozzled wrote:I don't know anything about your webhosting provider (I think you mentioned Blue Host) and it would be inappropriate for me to comment on whether it's a good or "not-so-good" webhost. The determining factor in what makes a webhost a suitable, dependable partner in your business comes down to a personal choice. I have used a couple of different webhosting providers over the years; when I was dissatisfied with one I moved on to another. I'm fairly happy with the arrangements that I have in place today (but there's no certainty that I will be using them over the years to come).

If you're not getting good service or knowledgeable advice from your current webhosting provider then (a) cut your losses and move your business elsewhere, or (b) contact an experienced professional to act on your behalf. It's a bit like preparing your annual income tax return: I haven't the time or the interest (or the detailed knowledge of changing tax laws) to prepare my own tax returns; I have an accountant who manages those things for me. ;)

I understand completely. I think they state in the business plan that you are "on your own" when you get a VPS or dedicated server. Problem is, their shared server was great for many years until last week and it was driving me nuts when the 60 phone calls (hoping to get a smarter tech each time), produced the same results. They said your shared server appears to be running fine. Run GTMetrix and optimize you websites. :'( So I figured moving to the VPS would get me out of that shared box that I figured was causing all the issues with bandwidth. Anyhow, we too pay to have our tax returns done but other than that I normally fix everything else. 8)
Thanks,
schemer
Thanks,

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:55 pm

If you go to a very good hoster they will manage your VPS very well. Liquidweb for instance such good hoster with a superb and superior support team. They do not belobg to the cheapest on the market but you get a darn good and heroic service. Everything they promise on this page https://www.liquidweb.com/support/managed-experience/ they deliver and I can confirm that since 80% of our server park are with them (though we manage them ourselves)

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby schemer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info. I decided to learn some new stuff and rebuilt my sites with html for now. I am studying Linux server administration. Wish me luck. :)
Thanks,

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”