Can't install Joomla 3.8.5, no install screen

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum. Note: Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
silverspr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can't install Joomla 3.8.5, no install screen

Postby silverspr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:50 am

HI
I am unable to successfully start the joomla 3.8.5 installation on Ubuntu 16.04. I have installed locally (server name ubuntu). I have installed the files to my home directory /home/user/joomla and created an apache alias. I have changed permissions to folders/files to 755/644 respectively. Ownership is user:www-data, with user being a member of the www-data group ( have tried changing ownership to www-data:www-data and there was no change in behaviour). My virtual host file:
<VirtualHost *:80>
Alias /joomla/ /home/user/joomla
<Directory /home/user/joomla>
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride Limit Options FileInfo
#DirectoryIndex index.php
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /home/user/joomla>
Options FollowSymLinks
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

When accessing the folder through the browser /ubuntu/joomla, I get the index of /joomla rather than the install application (fig1). Trying /ubuntu/joomla/index.php takes me to the install directory with the word "Error" on a white screen, nothing else (fig2). Apache error logs aren't showing anything. As an aside I am also running wordpress, setup much the same way and it runs no problem.

I can't get the FPA-en.php tool to run, I get a the 404 Not Found page (fig3), nor does the file appear in the index of /joomla although it definitely resides in the root folder of joomla. Permissions on the file were changed. I've tried ??10 different install routines, nothing has gotten me any closer. Help!! All suggestions are very welcome. I'm just slightly more advanced than a beginner to put my skillset in perspective!
dale

jjoomindexof (Small).png

jjoomindex.png

jfpa.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Can't install Joomla 3.8.5, no install screen

Postby AMurray » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 am

I don't know anything about the alias URLs and that sort of thing but just to ask, can you get Joomla installed by running it from the normal localhost URL, that is something like : "http://localhost/joomla/ ???
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

silverspr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby silverspr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi and thanks for your help, no difference using localhost: all the screens are same as previously described.
thanks

toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Postby toivo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 pm

This topic is related to Apache and Ubuntu, not Joomla.

silverspr wrote:I have installed the files to my home directory /home/user/joomla and created an apache alias.
If you have full control over the server, it would be common to install virtual hosts in the folder /var/www.

I found the following documents helpful when installing on Ubuntu LTS 16.04:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla

silverspr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby silverspr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:12 pm

HI, thanks for your help. Ironically I have followed the same articles with the exception of recreating the same permissions etc in my home folder. Mapping urls to filesystems https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/urlmapping.html. In the spirit of the help provided I will move the /home/user/joomla folder under /www/var/html which is the current document root (as of apache2.4). Fingers x'd...!! Thanks again, stay tuned for the update to this post.
dale

barracksbuilder
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby barracksbuilder » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm

I too am having this problem. This is a fresh install with php7.2 and apache2 on ubuntu 16.04.3. I know php is working if I put a simple phpinfo page in the directory it does execute fine. I made apache write out error logs to a directory which is created but no errors are generated when the installation page errors with a 500 according to the browser.

barracksbuilder
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby barracksbuilder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am

So I ended up turning on php's display_errors = on in the php.ini file of the virtual host so it would display the error to the screen and it appears I did not have the simplexml module installed had to fix by doing: sudo apt install php7.2-xml that got rid of the error message and the installer is now firing up.

I am still confused why it was not writing the error out to the error log. Hopefully this helps others.

silverspr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby silverspr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:02 pm

HI Everyone, thanks so much for your help. I was able to resolve my problem: joomla is fully installed. Turns out my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file had an error (or at least I think its an error) in the <Directory /> section, DirectoryIndex directive, there was an extra "." in front of index.php i.e. DirectoryIndex .index.php
I removed the leading "." and the install page fired with the the apache alias pointing to /home/user/joomla (my home folder). And like barracksbuilder my php install was incomplete, I also was missing the php7.x-xml file. Like the previous post my apache error logs weren't showing anything either.

Thanks again, its with your help that pointed me down the right path.
dale

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”